• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 381 Refrigerator/Icebox Reference File Photos

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here is an artistic photo essay on the stock 1984 Ericson 381 factory refrigerator/icebox installation.

The Dometic was probably an option. There is a drain for ice water, which exits into the bilge at the compartment shown. (I have been told I ought to plug that, so cold air doesn't just drain into the bilge.) The acrylic shelves are edged with varnished teak, pretty high class as yacht iceboxes go. The lid articulates at center, allowing either side to be raised.

A design flaw in the lid was the indented pulls, which provide no grip. Owners make various corrections. My previous owner drilled through the lid foam and used long hardware-store bolts to attach a drawer pull. It works, although I find his choice of drawer pull to be lacking in emotion, and if I get around to it I will change it to a Rolls Royce hood ornament, or perhaps adapt my Congressional Medal of Honor, which is just lying in a drawer somewhere anyhow.

The Dometic draws about 3 amps when on. I don't know how often it has to run to keep 38 degrees day and night on battery power. The Dometic is always on at the dock, using power intermittently depending on the ambient temperature.

refrig lid.jpg
refrig drain upper.jpg
Drain at low point under Dometic
refrig Dometic view.jpg
refrig Dometic  basin.jpg
Removable drip tray under Dometic
refrig drain.jpg
Icebox drain to bilge (at right)

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Part II of the exciting photo essay:

refrig shelves, four.jpg
Four acrylic shelves
refrig loest shelves, two .jpg
Refrig lower shelves
refrig upper shelf.jpg
Top shelf (sliding)
refrig closed.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
if I get around to it I will change it to a Rolls Royce hood ornament, or perhaps adapt my Congressional Medal of Honor, which is just lying in a drawer somewhere anyhow.

Wouldn't you need two MOHs? I would loan you mine, but I don't think my medals had much to do with honor. :cheers: