• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Honda Generator

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Disclaimer - I understand the risks of using a portable generator and I am equipped with a CO detector. :egrin:

For those of you who use a portable generator on the hook, where do you place it to run it? As most Ericsons do not have swim platforms I am interested in your ideas before I buy one. The primary purpose of the generator is to run AC at night while on the hook.

Also interested in ideas for stowing the unit while underway.

Thanks!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Putting it in the cockpit anywhere invites fumes below. Putting it anywhere on deck is dangerous as the fumes can enter through hatches, ports, and the main hatch. Putting it on the bow invites fumes entering all the length of the boat. The best solution is to put it on the stern on a bracket that you custom make.

One warning. Even that super quiet Honda 2000 can cause extremely annoying vibrations through the hull. The stern needs to be beefed up to reduce the vibrations.

Navman

Member III
generator placement

I use my Honda regularly with no problem. I fabricated a platform under the helmsman seat on top of the two longitudinal stringers. It was initially as a mounting surface for my Octopus Liner drive autopilot. As the AP did not take up much room at all it left a large enough area of remaining platform for the generator to be placed on. When in use I first put a piece of carpet remnant on the port combing just aft of the fuel fill cap. I then tie it to the push pit rail so it doesn't go over. The exhaust blows directly aft and it is quite enough that one can read and have a conversation while in the cockpit. I never noticed any annoying vibration, possibly because of the carpet which I placed there because the first time I set it up the bottom rubbed the top of the combing and left a slight mark. I am going to make a short 4' section of shore power cord instead of using the current 50' long cord. I don't think it could have worked out any better on purpose! Second photo was taken Saturday night at anchor in the Rhode River. Nighttime temps went down to 27 degrees. Heater worked fine.
.Picture1.jpg
generator placement.jpg

Baslin

Member III
I have used one this summer to run our A/C while on the hook because it was about 110 degrees outside.....I hung it from our boom with two straps just in front of the dodger....No cabin vibration. With the fan and a/c running, we could not hear the generator running..In auto idle mode, the Honda 2200 would rev up on initial compressor startup, and then return to a low idle......It ran for exactly 8 hours each night before it ran out of fuel

Baslin

Member III
Forgot to mention: with any swell or boat movement, the generator will sense a "low oil level" condition and shut off........I guess you could put about another 6 oz of oil or so....I never had any problem with a correct oil level until a large motor boat passed by and it shut off....restarted it once the A$$hole was out of sight haha.....

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
This is all great information, thank you. This is obviously something that warrants careful consideration, I appreciate your input.