• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

links to information on refinishing a 32-3 mast & boom

oldfauser

Member III
Pulled our mast for maintenance - rewire and refinish. So I started looking for threads on refinishing the mast & boom - not finding any! I'm sure I not searching correctly :esad:; help?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a couple of threads. Search with Google--just add "Ericson Forum" or similar to the search topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I've refinished my mast twice in 28 years of ownership and, like a lot of boat jobs, it is a series of pretty simple steps.

The first time I used Brightsides, and it looked great for 5 years, OK for 10 years, and then got quickly worse. It handily exceeded my expectations but I wouldn't do it again.

The second time I used Perfection, and am very happy with the result. Perfection (a two-part LP paint) is 15% more of a pain in the neck to apply but probably lasts twice as long, or more. I followed the instructions scrupulously on a mast that had been stripped of all hardware except the mainsail track, with coatings stripped down to bare aluminum. Since the zinc chromate primers are now off the market, I ended up using a barrier coat, two coats of primer, and three coats of Perfection, all by roller. It isn't a mirror finish but it is better than 90% of all the other masts of boats that are more than 10 years old...and mine is 50 years old.

It is not that difficult a job as long as you meticulously label everything that comes off the mast (it's amazing how much stuff there is on there), have the space and basic abrasive tools to do the work, and ARE NOT IN ANY HURRY when it's time to paint. You need to have the flexibility of letting the job go another weekend if it's too windy, hot, cold, or rainy. Also, by the time you get the mast down and all that stuff off, any number of additional "while-you're-at-it" projects arise (LED steaming light, replace masthead sheaves, rewire this/that/all, etc) and you do not want to be in a rush.

oldfauser

Member III
Fortunately, the mast is inside!

IMG_1920.jpg

Have removed most everything - bagged and tagged!

sanding is next on the agenda... :egrin:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You can't rotate the picture once it's uploaded. Go to Manage Attachments and remove the current error.

Place the photo on the desktop in the correct orientation, save it, and upload again. Don't use a portable device, the software gets confused.

oldfauser

Member III
Update!

we have almost finished the sanding -

12-14-19_update .jpg

need to cleanup the masthead, then clean and vacuum to prep for the Interlux 2000e primer.. :egrin:

oldfauser

Member III
Updated! After one coat of 2000e, two coats of Epoxy PrimeKote and one coat of Perfection... I don't think we'll "forget where we parked..." :geek:
IMG_2151.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pretty cool. Especially since the MDR Boat Yard estimated 12K to paint my mast.

And with a red mast you're in the company of Frank Gehry....

gehry .jpg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That is spectacular. How did the first Perfection coat cover the white primer, and how many coats are you planning?

oldfauser

Member III
it covered the white primer fairly well; we we not trying to get it on too thick... we did thin it 10% before application, knowing that we were planning on two final coats. We started with gray 2000e, white PrimeKote and of course the red Perfection. We're planning on one more coat of the Perfection. We sanded with 220 between the primer coats; will be using 320 before the final coat. If you have any questions, Interlux technical support is awesome!