• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Anchor and Anchor Locker Set Up

Spiny Norman

Member I
Hello Everybody,

I'm replacing the old Sea Tiger manual anchor windlass with an electric Lewmar. In doing this I need to replace my old 50' of 3/8 chain and 150' feet of 5/8" 3 strand with G40 3/8 chain and maybe yes/maybe no on the rope. My main issue is if I move to 200' of chain, I end up with 300lbs +/- in the bow. I've got a little space just aft of the locker and under my feet in the V-Berth, but the transition from the actual locker to this space is a little awkward and I'm not sure the advantage of 2 feet aft is worth the effort. So the question is, what have you done with yours? Are you happy with the current configuration and if so can I see some pix? Also, opinions on that 300lbs on the nose.

Thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I guess I'd look at it this way: how much chain is expected locally? There's no coral in SF, but maybe other factors exists. If not, chain/Nylon combo if possible, for weight.

We all know long-distance cruisers use all chain. Figure that with four crew in the cockpit and the boat sunk on her lines by provisions and water, the tradeoff at the bow gets relatively less significant.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hello Everybody,
I'm replacing the old Sea Tiger manual anchor windlass with an electric Lewmar. In doing this I need to replace my old 50' of 3/8 chain and 150' feet of 5/8" 3 strand with G40 3/8 chain and maybe yes/maybe no on the rope. My main issue is if I move to 200' of chain, I end up with 300lbs +/- in the bow. I've got a little space just aft of the locker and under my feet in the V-Berth, but the transition from the actual locker to this space is a little awkward and I'm not sure the advantage of 2 feet aft is worth the effort. So the question is, what have you done with yours? Are you happy with the current configuration and if so can I see some pix? Also, opinions on that 300lbs on the nose.
Thanks
It'll be a rewarding project. I just finished installing an electric windlass on my 32-3 - it didn't have any windlass before.
I'm most curious to know what path you plan to take for the heavy gauge power cables - that was my biggest challenge.
Based on your weight-in-the-bow concern, I'm guessing you'll bring power from the house bank instead of mounting a dedicated battery up front somewhere (?)
What gauge cables you will use (AWG 1? 0?), and which Lewmar windlass model did you choose?

If including nylon in your rode, consider 8-strand plait instead of 3-strand (assuming your windlass can handle 8-plait line as well as 3-strand) - it lies much more compactly in the anchor well than 3-strand, and doesn't form 'memory' kinks after laying in the well under a pile of heavy chain.
Good Luck!

Baslin

Member III
Might Want to consider 5/16" chain as opposed to 3/8" for a 35' boat...I think 5/16" weighs 1.1LB per foot while 3/8" its around 1.5Lbs per foot.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Might Want to consider 5/16" chain as opposed to 3/8" for a 35' boat...I think 5/16" weighs 1.1LB per foot while 3/8" its around 1.5Lbs per foot.
+1 - definitely
- remember to match your chain to the windlass' specs. (or, if you haven't purchased the windlass yet, and you decide to go with 5/16" chain instead of 3/8", then choose a windlass model for the chain you intend to use)

Last edited:

Spiny Norman

Member I
I guess I'd look at it this way: how much chain is expected locally? There's no coral in SF, but maybe other factors exists. If not, chain/Nylon combo if possible, for weight.

We all know long-distance cruisers use all chain. Figure that with four crew in the cockpit and the boat sunk on her lines by provisions and water, the tradeoff at the bow gets relatively less significant.

Definitely good thinking. I'm not planning on cruising with this boat outside of, perhaps, Northern Mexico...perhaps. I'm mostly just a big fan of keeping my shank down low. But I'm sure 100' of chain would be plenty of weight, outside of the kind of wind and seas that would probably drag the anchor regardless.

Spiny Norman

Member I

Thanks. But I'm definitely going with 3/8" for two reasons. #1 with the exception of the weight in the bow, I prefer the weight keeping the anchor down. And #2...I already purchased the gypsy for 3/8" (of course).

Spiny Norman

Member I
It'll be a rewarding project. I just finished installing an electric windlass on my 32-3 - it didn't have any windlass before.
I'm most curious to know what path you plan to take for the heavy gauge power cables - that was my biggest challenge.
Based on your weight-in-the-bow concern, I'm guessing you'll bring power from the house bank instead of mounting a dedicated battery up front somewhere (?)
What gauge cables you will use (AWG 1? 0?), and which Lewmar windlass model did you choose?

If including nylon in your rode, consider 8-strand plait instead of 3-strand (assuming your windlass can handle 8-plait line as well as 3-strand) - it lies much more compactly in the anchor well than 3-strand, and doesn't form 'memory' kinks after laying in the well under a pile of heavy chain.
Good Luck!

I'll definitely be going with heavier cables and running them back to the house bank. I went with the V2 003 Gypsy only. The 8-plait line is a great suggestion.

Thanks