• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

West Marine Polish with PTFE

Bob Robertson

Member III
We have been using the West Marine polish with PTFE for a number of years.

It was excellent. We would put it on the clean hull and deck in the fall, cover the boat and buff it out in the spring. Then mid summer we'd put another coat on and buff it off.

Our gelcoat looks better than new.

We're really disappointed that it's no longer available. I've tried the new West Marine polish and wax, but they don't appear to be nearly as good.

We tried Starbrite marine polish, but we had trouble getting off in the spring.

Does anybody have a recommendation on another marine polish?

Thanks!
Bob

Attachments

• West Marine Polish.jpg
    West Marine Polish.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This might be a contender

A friend who does buffing (among other boating work) really trusts the "White Knight" line of products, and one of them has the PTFE you are looking for.
http://www.totalboat.com/product-category/polishing/

Probably have to source it off the 'net, but it's difficult to imagine anything pricier than from WM.... :rolleyes:

He did buff out our original gel coat hull two years ago and then protected it with this product. It still looks almost as shiny 'as new'.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I love the Meguier products, #67 for chalky gelcoat, #49 cleaner for less oxidized, #50 cleaner wax, and especially #56 wax for gelcoat in good condition. All of them are easy to apply, but look good when done.
Just my opinion. ☺️
Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Boat Works Today with Andy has provided hours of helpful hints and tips. His work has convinced me to try Marine supplies.

However, I have been very pleased with Meguiar's Power cut, used on Discovery after 5 years of neglect while sitting on the hard. followed by one step compound and premium marine wax.

I did use WM's stain remover and was surprised and afraid by how quickly it ate through stains (will not use that again).

MJS

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thank you very much for your thoughts.

I'll give each of your recommendations a try in the spring.

Thanks again,
Bob

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Been flying for 40 years and found nothing better for paint longevity combined with corrosion resistance on metals than RejeX, a product with the same formulation/company as CorrosionX...an aircraft corrosion resistant product universally used inside wings, etc. Google it...it is not a wax and will outlast any retail /commercial synthetic product on the market. It uses a molecular substrate that becomes a part of the surface...cannot use it over another product as it will only last as long as the previous applied product...has to penetrate the original surface. No I don't and have never worked for this company, but highly recommend it. Shine is incredible. Direct on internet or aviation supply sources.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I know exactly what you mean, I used to use eagle 1 auto wax with PTFE and it was the best wax I ever used by a long shot, but they stopped making it.

I remember it being super easy to apply, remove and the shine looked phenomenal. Was called eagle 1 wet.

here’s a wax with ptfe but I haven’t tried it yet

it’s made by zee Germans so it’s gotta be good!

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Loren,

You had recommended Total Boat Podium Finish polish. It worked great. Easy to apply, easy off and it looks great.

Thanks!
Bob

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
For what it’s worth our go to product is Collinite Fleetwax (in the tin puck). We apply 2 coats after buffing in the spring. Images are from today (and this was a rush job since we found out this AM we are splashing tomorrow).

Attachments

• 8CE2AC8A-9C9C-4D17-9BE9-15F2542F6CC9.jpeg
    8CE2AC8A-9C9C-4D17-9BE9-15F2542F6CC9.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 923F4F7A-1339-4EB3-B0C7-180925E70AB4.jpeg
    923F4F7A-1339-4EB3-B0C7-180925E70AB4.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 16

Bob Robertson

Member III
Thank you, we previously used Collinite Fleetwax (in the tin puck) for a number of years, but we switched to polish containing PTFE a few years ago and have had really good results.