Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping Sails on for the Winter

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Beach View Post
    Sailing this "late" in the fall has its good days tho. Yesterday afternoon I and a couple of friends took our boat out for about 2 hours. Only used - or needed - the 97% jib. Winds in high teens to mid 20's out of the east and we tacked up the river in fine style.

Without the slot effect of the (furled) main, we had to dial it in, to weather, slowly. When pointing high we were over 7 kts often. Slower on the reach and run.
    Temps in the 40's and sunny. That wind finally chilled us enough that we decided we'd had enough fun for one afternoon.

Biggest challenge was exiting and re-entering our slip!
    Yeah, the Gorge Wind Engine reverses itself somewhat in the winter, and you guys get a little taste of our daily blow. Those are generally kayak days here. Except yesterday... it was 20 @#!*& degrees F. Not even November yet, and I’m already tired of long underwear. Sunday, we had a nice little 5-8 knot east wind and everyone was out with all the canvas flying. One of those “Grey Poupon” days!
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input. Frank's idea of sailing year-round was clearly the best. However, I still travel sometimes half the month for work, which is probably more dry days than we'll have every month around here until March. Miss one dry spell, and my sails could be sitting damp and unused for weeks.

I pulled them last last Thursday.
    Ken
    '85 E32-3 "Mariah" #641
    Universal M-25

"Saltwater is the cure; sweat, tears, or the sea......"

Contributing Partner

Boy I'm with you on that! Never wanted a boat that I had to worry about mud from a crab pot, ding from a weight belt, or blood from a salmon messing up the finish. Sure be careful and clean, but boats are made to be used, not stared at.

I guess I'm in the middle on the sail question. I leave the main on year round, but like to take the genoa off for the winter. However, as I store it folded in the quarterberth the timing of this removal is a big question. Need to do it on a dry day but the later in the season you wait the less chance of getting a dry day to do it on. I missed my normal slot this year being out of the country for work the last 3 weeks. Now I've got to get a weekend with good weather lined up. If I'm not careful it will be left on all winter this year.

Kevin Wright
    E35 Hydro Therapy