• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit coamings E35-2

steven

Sustaining Member
the bottoms of the cubby holes in the cockpit coamings are shot (cracked, curled, separated from the wood base).
Has anyone tackled a repair ?

thanks

--Steve

kapnkd

kapnkd
the bottoms of the cubby holes in the cockpit coamings are shot (cracked, curled, separated from the wood base).
Has anyone tackled a repair ?

thanks

--Steve
Hi Steve,

A photo or two for us to review would be helpful if possible. Our ‘73 - E32 I think has similar compartments to your 35. The wood floors in ours was deteriorating and we saved them by pouring in lots of epoxy resin after cleaning out as much of the bad wood as possible.

When the coaming floors were sealed to satisfaction, we cut pieces of rubber backed pontoon boat flooring to fit inside. It is thick enough to lay flat and easily removable for cleaning

We gained a little better access to the project by removing removing the Teak coaming boards. It also obviously made refinishing the coaming boards MUCH easier.

Attachments

• 642819FE-6207-445E-8B18-E73408134FAE.jpg
    642819FE-6207-445E-8B18-E73408134FAE.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 86

ddoles

Member III
When I bought my E38-200 the coaming box was already replaced with a store bought plastic coaming box. It was a shoddy job and needed to be replaced. I made a custom fitted wood box and fitted it into the existing coaming opening. It took some careful measurement, templating, some additional screws and generous caulk, but it turned out great and has held up now for several years. Here are before and after photos. The two holes below are drain holes to eliminate water accumulating in the box.

Dave

_DSC0547.jpg

_DSC0647.jpg

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
When I bought my E38-200 the coaming box was already replaced with a store bought plastic coaming box. It was a shoddy job and needed to be replaced. I made a custom fitted wood box and fitted it into the existing coaming opening. It took some careful measurement, templating, some additional screws and generous caulk, but it turned out great and has held up now for several years. Here is a photo. The two holes below are drain holes to eliminate water accumulating in the box.

Dave
View attachment 27977

VERY VERY NICE Dave!! Impressive to say the least.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
UV light is tough on the bottom of the cubby. I reinforced the plastic floor with epoxy on one boat.

To protect the varnish and the floor, I made a Sunbrella cover with two upper snaps.

1-IMG_4247.jpg