• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Creaking Deck on 25+

Stringert

I've noticed my 1982 25+ creaks every time I walk on the Starboard side, between the chain-plate and the front of the cabin.
I biggest fear is core separation and moisture!!!
Any thoughts?
Is there an easier way to fix the core than to cut it all out and replace/reglass?

Thanks!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
First try a moisture meter on the deck. If it says wet, you have a problem. For the cruder, use a hammer to tap the deck. A duller sound indicates rot. If there is rot, it is repaired from the inside. In any case, it is time to reseal the chainplates.

The old balsa core must be removed. There is no way to dry it out.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
Bob is right, if the creaking is due to core rot. However, I also had some creaking on our boat, which I discovered had a different source. The first creak occurred when I stepped on an area just above the hanging locker. Careful investigation showed that the underside of the deck was rubbing slightly on trim by the hanging locker. When I shortened the trim piece slightly, the creaking stopped and has never returned. My second creak was traced to the small piece of plywood to which is fastened the cabin light on the underside of the deck. By tightening that plywood, the creaking stopped. Having someone below decks while you walk on the creaking sections may help to pinpoint problem areas. You may get lucky and find a cause other than deck /core rot.
Good luck!
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Creaking: Sharp, squeaky, rending...

The 381 creaks like crazy under certain conditions, function of water tank weight, point of sail, and lotsa furniture and sole joinery.

I would think core damage would squish, feel soft, sound dull.

But then this stuff is hard to describe, that's for sure.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Have someone walk the deck while you try to find the source of the creaking. I'll be re-coring the cockpit sole of my e25 this 'off season'.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I had a soft area under the stanchions in from of the mast, poor bedding. The PO left if thinking that a for keel stepped mast, no big deal. Certainly I disagreed. I removed the three stanchions in front of the mast and widened the hole nearest the rot to 2" diameter. The I pulled out all the rotten balsa with a hook (coat hanger) until I got to hard balsa. The the boat yard hunted up some very slow curing epoxy (to keep the heat down) and filled the space completely. There was enough top surface laminate at the hole to remount the stanchions so I did not have to remove the top laminate, impossible to match the cross hatching. Doing that hole job from inside the cabin with gravity working against you and having to remove and replace the vinyl headliner was a big job. Maybe your have similar access.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I had some creaking when walking on the side deck of Xanthus not long after I bought it (or another thing the surveyor didn't pick up on). Friend fiberglass guy explained that it was dry or wouldn't be any creaking. We drilled some 1/4" holes through the top glass, poured in some polyester resin, and refilled the holes. End of problem.

Make sure there are no openings in the bottom of the deck like for lights, etc. Getting a pool of resin out of a lamp lens can cause bad words to be spoken.