Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Insurance Requirements for BC boating

Blog Entries
    I heard back from my insurance guy, he said that it would cost me about $80/year to increase my liability coverage to $2M, and that he could do it any time (i.e., he could do it in June before my next cruise, and just pro-rate it for the remaining portion of the year.

He did say that this is going to be a "major issue" for some boaters, because some insurance carriers can't (or won't?) increase liability coverage that much. Some are capped at 500k or $1M, tops.

Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    Given that none of the three large marinas I phoned in the Gulf Islands knew anything about this potential increase, and have no plans to ask guest boaters about their insurance,(see post #7 in this thread) I wonder if we aren't over reacting. If this ever comes to pass, it will take some time to implement and would not likely happen immediately. Just my thoughts for now...I still think it prudent for every boat owner to have whatever they think is adequate insurance for their comfort level.
    Frank

Blog Entries

Red face And... the issue is (mostly) laid to rest

WE are not overreacting, but for whatever reason(s) that remain a mystery, Anne Clarke, Reciprocal Chair, Maple Bay Yacht Club, is certainly wanting us to all get excited.
    While there certainly be a few places that may be planning on demanding proof of a higher-than-customary liability level, it appears that most are not.

Sidebar: based on positive experiences of two boats from our club that stopped at MBYC last year and enjoyed reciprocal privileges and enjoyed meeting the members there, it's a shame that I shall have to take that one club off of our potential destination list for 2020 and beyond
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 10-25-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Sustaining Member
    I have done some checking myself and with our Canadian Forces Sailing Association on this issue. It appears that "clubs" seem to be increasing their demands for increased insurance coverage for their members and reciprocals. This includes Maple Bay YC but not Maple Bay Marina or any other marina that I can find. A marina's usual demand is that any visitor or long termer be financially responsible for issues wrt their boat or damages during their visit, no demand for proof of insurance.
    The bottom line is that if you rely on reciprocals for your visits to Canada, you may need to pick and choose which ones you use or increase your insurance coverage. If you use marinas then your level of insurance is not as big an issue. It would be a shame if a blanket refusal to recommend visiting Canada came out of what appears to be a limited club based requirement.
    FWIW my insurance for $1M liability, towing etc, a pretty standard contract, is $396 per year Canadian (2019-Nov 2020), a $20 increase over last year.

Blog Entries

Wink "...the plot thickens"

Adding some insurance trivia from the Columbia River:
    Today we stopped at the harbor master's office @ Ilwaco, WA. Good sized marina with transient moorage, and owned by the Port.

I asked about short stay transient moorage for when we stop in this next year, and if they have insurance requirements.
    They do have a form for everyone to fill out and it asks basic questions about the boat's insurance, and... that the owner certify that they have a minimum liability of $300K.
    (This is what my 'standard' policy has now, from BoatUS.)

She said that, from her knowledge of other marinas, there is a (WA) state standard for this 300K minimum amount.

More and more, I grow cynical about the MBYC... viewing their very very high minimum as a way to keep the smaller cheaper boats out.
    Perhaps they will be happy with one 250 foot super yacht blocking most of their tie up space and demanding a reciprocal privilege.(And... having a full crew and facilities on board will not even step ashore to visit their YC bar!)

Interesting to be relegated to "riff raf" status!

It has taken over 70 years to reach that point, but at least I am among a "raffish" group of friends...
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 11-22-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Another Port, another data point

While sightseeing in the Astoria area today, we next stopped at the port's main smaller-boat and transient harbor, "West Basin".
    The assistant harbor master tells me that for long term renters they do ask for proof of insurance, $300K max liability.
    For those of us stopping in for a night or three, they just ask if we have this insurance, altho they will ask for insurance proof if the boat or the skipper look... 'sketchy'...

They do require a million in liability for commercial operators like the salmon charter ("six pack") boats.

When I mentioned the 'two million dollar liability question" regarding the BC yacht club, I got a rolling of the eyes and a 'what on earth!' facial expression.

BTW, when you visit Astoria, the local Astoria Yacht Club is one of several in the NW that reimburses you by mail for your night of moorage. The harbor master's office just hands you an envelope with a short form in it for you fill out and mail in with a copy of your receipt. There is a limit of one night free a month, IIRC.

Simple and Workable system for a smaller club and keeps any potential bureaucracy for the local Port to a minimum.... And... all their club members can then use their reciprocal privileges at other clubs. We have had their members tie up at RCYC, for instance.
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 11-22-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Contributing Partner
    FWIW I've been staying at guest moorages in BC for over 30 years. I have never once been asked for proof of insurance or even had the word insurance mentioned. Was just up in Sidney 2 months ago and am there often enough that they have my boat and profile 'on file' in their computer system so I don't have to bother giving them my contact info, etc when I make a reservation. Still no mention of insurance.

My local marina (Port Townsend) does require it for permanent moorage as does pretty much every other marina I've dealt with in the last 30 years. But not for transient guest moorage.

Now I've never been a member of a yacht club or marina that had reciprocal agreements with other marinas. I can see where on a reciprocal deal they are treating you more like a permanent tenant and want to see the insurance proof.

Some day I can see this becoming a requirement as society continues its downward spiral into litigation Hell, but hopefully I will have gone to that great anchorage in the sky before then.

Kevin Wright
    E35 Hydro Therapy