• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Olson 34 Mast Boot

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Does anyone know/have recommendation on a mast boot for my O34?

I just bought the boat and had it trucked from NorCal to SoCal and when the sending yard took down the mast they discarded the old boot, so I don't have anything to work from.

Also, this is my first boat with a keel stepped mast and I've read something about there being wedges around the deck opening but again there's nothing i can find in the boat.

It looks like you can buy a kit from Spartite that does both? Appreciate any ideas and experience.

Thanks,
Rob

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Anybody tried Flex Seal tape?
852808007084.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Boots and Wedges

A recurring topic.
https://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?12915-leak-at-mast-collar&referrerid=28

Matter of fact I do need to take off our lovely sunbrella cover and see why the old "patched" vinyl factory cover has started leaking rain water again.

Wedges: our boat came with only four long carved wood wedges for all sides. This left the corners unsupported so I made some teak ones that fill in the gap all the way around. I just used some scrap teak cut it in an "L" shape so that they would not fall thru.

It's been over a decade so it's time to check on this little mast partner assembly again anyway.
Another thread: https://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7588-Mast-Boot-35-3&referrerid=28

Not sure when I will get to this, but sometime in the next month.

Note: you can use the phrase 'mast boot' and search this site for other related threads.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I used one of these kits

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sailing-specialities-universal-mast-boots

A little bit of a pain to get the joint glued (it's basically contact cement, so no matter how many times you dry-fit it, it's going to "stick" as soon as you apply the adhesive. An extra pair of hands can be a big help)

Anyway, big hose-clamps top and bottom, a well-sealed joint, the thing has been leak-free for a couple of years so far.

Because more is always better, I also wrapped the finished boot with silicone ("self-amalgamating") tape, which seals to itself and provides another layer of waterproofness. And then covered it with the UV/sunbrella cover. So far, so good.

Wedges are no difficult to make. As Loren did, above, I made mine from scrap teak. They're basically to block the mast in place within the partners, so they should be a material that has a little bit of "give" but doesn't compress much. Hard wood is fine, delrin is not uncommon, I've seen people use blocks of hard rubber, too. One thing I'd observe is that you want the top of the blocks to be basically flush with the top of the "collar" part of the thru-deck flange, otherwise the tops may interfere with your efforts to put a well-sealed mast boot in place.

A number of people around me in the marina have used the SparTite stuff. Between their stories - specifically, how hard it was to block the underside so the stuff didn't ooze down into the cabin before hardening - and the fact that it is essentially a one-shot solution (no way to adjust (*) it once done, would need to remove it and start over)... I've not gone that way. Yet. Blocks-and-boot is working fine.

(*) Note, some racers have a set of mast "blocks" they use fore and aft so they can adjust the position of the mast in the partners (e.g., putting more blocks behind the mast than in front can create some "pre-bend" at the deck, if you're tuning the rig for certain conditions).

$.02
Bruce

[/FONT]

Last edited:

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Can you say more about the size of the wedges?

Thanks everyone for the quick ideas. I'm having difficulty visualizing the specific shape of the wedges. Can someone say more about length/width?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This picture is overkill, they're just wedges. I have no idea how to buy them, but if it comes to that you could measure your gaps and circumference and go to House of Hardwoods in West LA. They could make you up a few. Shame the riggers lost your original set. (H of H, 2414 Wellesley Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90064)

wedges.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This picture is overkill, they're just wedges. I have no idea how to buy them, but if it comes to that you could measure your gaps and circumference and go to House of Hardwoods in West LA. They could make you up a few. Shame the riggers lost your original set. (H of H, 2414 Wellesley Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90064)

View attachment 27960

Thanks for the photo. Those are almost identical to the much smaller ones I made out of scrap bits of teak over 20 years ago. The little 'lip' on the top of each keeps them from falling thru.

I did not write little numbers on mine, however. :)

Last edited:

CTOlsen

Member III
Same here....

I used one of these kits

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sailing-specialities-universal-mast-boots

A little bit of a pain to get the joint glued (it's basically contact cement, so no matter how many times you dry-fit it, it's going to "stick" as soon as you apply the adhesive. An extra pair of hands can be a big help)

Anyway, big hose-clamps top and bottom, a well-sealed joint, the thing has been leak-free for a couple of years so far.

Because more is always better, I also wrapped the finished boot with silicone ("self-amalgamating") tape, which seals to itself and provides another layer of waterproofness. And then covered it with the UV/sunbrella cover. So far, so good.

Wedges are no difficult to make. As Loren did, above, I made mine from scrap teak. They're basically to block the mast in place within the partners, so they should be a material that has a little bit of "give" but doesn't compress much. Hard wood is fine, delrin is not uncommon, I've seen people use blocks of hard rubber, too. One thing I'd observe is that you want the top of the blocks to be basically flush with the top of the "collar" part of the thru-deck flange, otherwise the tops may interfere with your efforts to put a well-sealed mast boot in place.

A number of people around me in the marina have used the SparTite stuff. Between their stories - specifically, how hard it was to block the underside so the stuff didn't ooze down into the cabin before hardening - and the fact that it is essentially a one-shot solution (no way to adjust (*) it once done, would need to remove it and start over)... I've not gone that way. Yet. Blocks-and-boot is working fine.

(*) Note, some racers have a set of mast "blocks" they use fore and aft so they can adjust the position of the mast in the partners (e.g., putting more blocks behind the mast than in front can create some "pre-bend" at the deck, if you're tuning the rig for certain conditions).

$.02
Bruce

and, am having a canvas cover made this winter season to cover new boot. Old boot lasted 7 seasons!