Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water pooling

Contributing Member III

Question water pooling

Good morning,

We have water pooling on the starboard side of the cockpit on the seat. When it really rains the water pools from the corner to the front of the companionway. Any thoughts on why it would pool in this area?

Shannon
    Shannon Jones
    1986 Ericson 30+
    M18

Current name: Eden (new name coming soon)

Blog Entries
    Result of common list of vessel at rest?
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Contributing Member III

list

Anyway to balance the boat to prevent the list?
    Shannon Jones
    1986 Ericson 30+
    M18

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannasailsoon View Post
    Anyway to balance the boat to prevent the list?
    Just have to look at weight distribution on the boat...which side's water tanks you fill (I tend to stick with my starboard tank), is your holding tank full (mine is on port), do you have a lot of gear stored inside the boat on the starboard side, and so on.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Contributing Member III

Balancing act

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W. View Post
    Just have to look at weight distribution on the boat...which side's water tanks you fill (I tend to stick with my starboard tank), is your holding tank full (mine is on port), do you have a lot of gear stored inside the boat on the starboard side, and so on.
    Our water tank, batteries are all on the starboard side. I am going to take a bit of inventory and see if I can balance it a bit better.

Hmm, I also have a number of books on that side of the boat.
    Shannon Jones
    1986 Ericson 30+
    M18

Blog Entries
    Some of us keep the water tank low unless heading off on a cruise.

On the 381, the 40-gallon tank (more than 300 pounds) under the starboard berth creates most of the list.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    Hi Shannon,

As others have indicated, boats often do list a bit to one side or the other. However, I'm a bit puzzled, given that we have the same boats albeit a couple years apart, that you have that much pooling where we have none. So I would start to problem solve by emptying everything possible from the boat--water tanks, holding tank, etc., and temporarily moving any substantial items off the boat (onto the dock or somewhere). If you know approximately how much fuel you have, you can calculate the weight of that. Having removed as much as possible, I would use a large level (3 feet would be good) to check various places on the boat--across the stern lockers behind the wheel, on the salon floor, in the V-berth without the cushions, etc. to see if there is a noticeable and consistent list to starboard that would explain your water pooling. If you find that consistent list, then think about how you might rebalance to minimize that. If you have the optional bow water tank, you could use that instead of the starboard one, put only lighter items in the starboard hanging locker, etc.

If you don't notice a consistent list at most points on the boat, it's possible that the layup of the boat left a lower section in that corner of the cockpit when the boat was built. While I think that's unlikely, as they probably used the same mould for the E30+, it's the only other explanation I can think of if the boat is otherwise level.

Good luck in solving this one!
    Frank

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We are often shown photos of the assembly line tank at the Ericson factory, which they reportedly used to fine-tune the trim of each boat, due to differences in furnishings, options, etc. But who knows what has happened to each boat since that day? Just the preponderance of all large storage spaces on my boat being on the port side leads to an inevitable annoying list that other people might not even notice. And a permanent water stain where drips pool over in that corner... Anyhow, I've noticed that me taking a nap on the starboard settee seems to level out the boat pretty well. Which gives a pretty good idea of the magnitude of the problem. It doesn't take much mass to tip these mid-sized boats a little. Also a hint that crew or bystanders make pretty good self-adjusting ballast for testing out weight distribution patterns.
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Contributing Member III
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you just have a weight distribution issue but here's a though anyhow: the inner liner on my E25 does not sit perfectly level inside the hull, it was glued-in tilting slightly to starboard. These boats are well made for production boats but Ericson wasn't building them like pianos.

As already said, a straight 2 x 4 and a level tells all.

PS have you looked at your mast?

Principal Partner
    I have lead ingots fiberglassed in on the port side just ahead of the fuel tank. Looks like they were factory installed. The same could be done aftermarket.
    Bob Morrison
    1987 E-34 Hull #15
    "Terra Nova"

Contributing Member III
    My 1988 E 26 is the same, water tank ,two batteries and stuff in quarter birth, and she's a touch faster on starboard tack

Just a thought... everybody is concerned about the port-starboard trim. Are you trying to get the water to pool on both sides equally? I would suggest getting some weight out of the bow so the water runs off of the settees to the stern. That's the way it works on the E-34s. Is the E-30+ different?
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    That's a good thought, Tom. However, on my 1984 E30+ I don't get any significant pooling, and can't think of a really good reason why Shannon gets so much pooling in the starboard corner by the companionway. Hence my suggestion in the post above and my focus on port/starboard rather than fore/aft.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Langer View Post
    That's a good thought, Tom. However, on my 1984 E30+ I don't get any significant pooling, and can't think of a really good reason why Shannon gets so much pooling in the starboard corner by the companionway. Hence my suggestion in the post above and my focus on port/starboard rather than fore/aft.
    Frank
    Frank - You have the same boat. Which way does the water leave you settees? Forward or aft? That was the question that needs an answer. Surely you have hosed out the cockpit.
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

Contributing Member III

Mast?

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    Sounds like you just have a weight distribution issue but here's a though anyhow: the inner liner on my E25 does not sit perfectly level inside the hull, it was glued-in tilting slightly to starboard. These boats are well made for production boats but Ericson wasn't building them like pianos.

As already said, a straight 2 x 4 and a level tells all.

PS have you looked at your mast?
    Why the mast?
    Shannon Jones
    1986 Ericson 30+
    M18