• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How's my vertical manual windlass work?

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
IMG_20191017_115744.jpg
IMG_20191017_115748.jpg
IMG_20191017_115753.jpg

So I've had this thing for about a year now and I still don't quite get it. I understand the toothy part on the bottom is for the chain, and the winch drum above is for the nylon rode, but what is that sharp little locking tooth for on the bottom? It doesn't seem like it moves.

And the biggest mystery is what is the arm for? I've never seen a windlass with the extendable arm like that, and it doesn't seem to do anything except be a tangling liability. I'd like to take it off if possible - both that arm and the sharp tooth in the 2nd picture are spinnaker-destroyers.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I cannot make out the brand on top. Can you tell us what the make (and model) is?

Not sure how the bottom part functions, but it looks kind of like a ratcheting pawl of some sort.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
It's a Simpson-Lawrence, I think (away from boat currently). No idea what the model is, can't find it anywhere on the device...and have been unsuccessful in googling for a manual or similar :(

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It's different enough from mine that I can't really guess about the odd bits... a head scratcher for sure. Mine has a shield that covers the pawl. The upper capstan is for a second (all rope) rode, or for warping the boat with a dockline, or whatever. If it's like mine, the capstan is always connected to the motor shaft, like a non-self-tailing winch. By screwing one of those upper sockets down, you push the underlying clutch plates together and engage the gypsy, which might be for all chain or chain/rope. Unscrew to drop the anchor freely.

Maybe google image for anything that remotely looks like it and download available manuals? Even if it's not the exact thing, it ought to provide some clues.

Edit - that arm looks like it might possibly be something like a pre-feeder for rope rode? Chain feeds through mine pretty easily, but rope has to be at JUST the right angle or it will jam. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ian't that device on the lower drum a capstan lock? Looks like it's supposed to rotate in and engage the matching cutouts on the drum. If so, it would be in the "unlocked" position in the photo.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Ian't that device on the lower drum a capstan lock? Looks like it's supposed to rotate in and engage the matching cutouts on the drum. If so, it would be in the "unlocked" position in the photo.

It definitely looks like a lock but appears to be jammed in its current position. Maybe a persuader bar would get it to move. Or some penetrating oil?

Either way I guess I'll take that arm off - I haven't had to use it yet, and it's mostly a liability.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Geoff,
I have the same unit minus the lower chain gypsy. The locking tooth gets frozen on mine from zero use. Spray it and wait a bit. Maybe a light tap with a plastic hammer at the most. The tooth should pivot in and lock in the notches in the chain gypsy. I agree the bars forward are line/chain pre-feeders.
Mark