• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The dreaded fuel tank replacement

Phil Adams

Member I
Hello Guys,

Having found a small but persistant diesel leak in the bilge I've traced it back to the original tank which has a small pinhole leak in it so the time has come to rip it out and replace it with a new plastic tank. Has anyone got any advice or possibly photos of their tank locations please to get ideas as to where I can site a new tank please? The original is located in the port quater aft. Trithena's layout is the one with wheel steering mounted on a bridge dack across the cockpit so access is through both the port cockpit locker & stern locker. Many thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
https://coastlinemarinetanks.com

I bought my custom-shape 19 gallon tank from these folks in 2008, and just received a quote (precautionary) for a replacement one when planning to fix a recent pinhole leak. Turned out the leak was repairable, and was caused by my ignoring a small bit of water in a low corner that finally corroded thru.
$40. repair and all back in place now.
IF.... I had needed a new identical one, the cost was going to be about $900. (US)

I betcha there are custom tank builders in your area. I went with the industry-standard aluminum, altho I have heard that "plastic" does have some advantages as long as it it formulated for modern alcohol-added fuels.

Ask around.... surveyors were a good source when I need this sort of information, as are yacht repair companies.

Good Luck!

In some ways, the most difficult part of the job was pumping out the old diesel with a cheap rubber-vane pump powered by a drill motor. Several 5 gallon cans were used. Moderate swearing was invoked.... and some of the hoses did Not want to let go after the clamps were removed... they take quite a 'set' onto the barbs.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; width: 823.36px; clear: both; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 14.3px; font-weight: bold;">Model and Name of Boat:</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">ericson 27 - Trithena</dd></dl><dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; width: 823.36px; clear: both; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 14.3px; font-weight: bold;">Your Location:</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Isle of Man

As Loren suggests, if the tank is aluminum it can probably be repaired. What year is your boat?</dd></dl>

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

If the current pinhole leak is repaired, what is the likelihood that other leaks will also develop in the near future due to the age of the tank? Do these tanks have a predicted life span before leaks develop, or does it depend entirely on whether there has been water in the fuel, fuel tank sitting in a moist environment, etc.?

I recall when I had a leak in my cars gas tank many years ago, a local radiator shop injected a coating (perhaps it was epoxy or similar) which coated the entire inside surface of the tank, repairing the initial leak and preventing any further ones. I wonder if a similar process still exists, and might be a good solution here.

Frank

Phil Adams

Member I
<dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; width: 823.36px; clear: both; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 14.3px; font-weight: bold;">Model and Name of Boat:</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">ericson 27 - Trithena</dd></dl><dl style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; width: 823.36px; clear: both; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);"><dt style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 14.3px; font-weight: bold;">Your Location:</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">Isle of Man

As Loren suggests, if the tank is aluminum it can probably be repaired. What year is your boat?</dd></dl>

She's a 1978 model fitted with an aluminium tank which is quite corroded at the aft end so probably not salvageable ecconomically unfortunately.

kapnkd

kapnkd
She's a 1978 model fitted with an aluminium tank which is quite corroded at the aft end so probably not salvageable ecconomically unfortunately.

Interesting!! ...My ‘73 E32 came with but a galvanized tank which promptly gave up the ghost in the late 70’s due to the salt water environment when sailing Florida waters. (Nothing WORSE than opening the hatch, smelling gas and seeing a bilge full of gasoline!!) ...Another story in itself!!!!

I had an aluminum tank made of 1/8 thickness and before installation primed it well on the exterior with zinc chromate and then epoxy painted it with multiple coats.

Long and short of it....TODAY - this tank is still in good shape with no corrosion.

I just pulled it this past year to clean the insides out due to years of use since ‘91 when we converted from the A-4 to a diesel. Darn diesel fuel sure loves to grow “critters” that eventually growl at you when merely removing the fuel cap!!

While the tank was just out, it was cleaned inside and out - repainted on the outside and is good to go for hopefully many more years. ...Granted we’re now on the Great Lakes but the aluminum has held up VERY well for us.

Last edited:

frick

Member III
new fuel tank

Hello Guys,

Having found a small but persistant diesel leak in the bilge I've traced it back to the original tank which has a small pinhole leak in it so the time has come to rip it out and replace it with a new plastic tank. Has anyone got any advice or possibly photos of their tank locations please to get ideas as to where I can site a new tank please? The original is located in the port quater aft. Trithena's layout is the one with wheel steering mounted on a bridge dack across the cockpit so access is through both the port cockpit locker & stern locker. Many thanks.

My 1971 E29 developer pin hole leaks.
A local long Island New York Shop made a drop in duplicate.
It was cheaper than a West Marine replacement and all my hoses were in the right spot.

Alloy Metal works
146 Verdi St,
Farmingdale, ny 11706
631-694-8163

Rick

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It really pays to develop a relationship with your local machine shop. If they can’t do something, they can send you to someone who can.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Hello Guys,

Had a similar problem with my E32-3 a few years ago. Pulled the tank and took it to a radiator shop. They cleaned it and welded the pin hole corner for $180 bucks. The original manufacturer of Ericson fuel tanks is still in business in Southern California. Its been 5 years or so...Don't remember the name. He quoted me two prices for a new 21 gallon tank for my 1987 #713. I think he said $500. He offered two different gauges of aluminum thickness as well. Someone on this site may have the name of the manufacturer. We sold our boat August 2018. Good luck!

Phil Adams

Member I
Thanks Keith,
I've struggled to find anyone on island to quote a reasonable price for a replacement in alloy or stainless so am looking for one from the UK in plastic. There are a few standard designs about on ebay and the like that should fit through the cockpit locker so just looking for ideas as to where & how people have mounted them before? Looks like I'll have to glass in some form of a shelf to take the new tank (looking at an oblong shaped 12 gal plastic at moment as best option.
Cheers, Phil
Phil,

I’m guessing that you don’t have good fabrication shop access on the Isle of Man like we mainlanders do, so perhaps you could substitute one like this although you may have to give up some tank volume:

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/moe...B3YsHBQ0DXceyaIqLIy2PvHM1YtIpvUgaAjO3EALw_wcB

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My fuel tank, which sits on a shelf under the quarterberth, is secured with one tab and bedded in expanding foam--by the factory. No straps. The lid of 5/8ths ply was both screwed and glassed down.

The foam seems a clever idea to seat the aluminum tank against the complex curve of the hull.

(I believe that magic marker "$390" must have been the cost of the tank to the factory.)

text.JPG

Last edited:

Phil Adams

Member I
IMG_2633.jpgIMG_2637.jpgIMG_2642.jpgIMG_2645.jpg

Spent the morning on the boat pumping out and removing the old tank. No way would it come out without cutting it up with an angle grinder! New tank on order after carefully measuring the hatch opening so fingers crossed it fits through when it arrives. Will spend the next few days cleaning up the the fibreglass tabs on the hull and preping the area for glassing in the new tank supports.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Progress...

Thru time, some things remain similar.. looks like your tank has what looks to be the original (?) float-connected analog fuel gauge that was read on a little dial gauge on the top of the tank, like our 1988 boat came with.

I replaced that with a WEMA sender and remote electric readout when the new tank was designed/built.

Our tank is under a settee, but was a hassle to read the level and we were really not convinced of the accuracy.

Ah, the joys of maintaining a classic boat!
:rolleyes:

Edit: earlier link for a similar project:
https://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoe...12342-E27-fuel-tank-replacement&referrerid=28

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
For those with future replacements of tanks in the 34 (me?), I would remove the trim around the aft cabin door so I could remove and replace it intact. The trim removal is not that difficult.

JSM

Member III
For those with future replacements of tanks in the 34 (me?), I would remove the trim around the aft cabin door so I could remove and replace it intact. The trim removal is not that difficult.

I also have an '87 34-2. Two years ago I removed the tank to have the mounting tabs re-welded and the tank cleaned. I was able to get the tank out without removing any trim. It was actually one of the only jobs on this boat that went smoother than planned.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Good news. When the time comes? I will attempt to remove it first. All boats have the charastic that they resist maintenance. I will be extra nice to her before pulling that tank and maybe she will be cooperative.