• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Osprey in a Regatta

L

Leslie Newman

We have been doing this one race for a few years. This is the only racing we do. Charity event raises money for the local Hospice. I had a couple of Gopro cameras mounted and filmed some of the action.

I'm in the Captain's shirt. Sail trimming and my friend Pedro is the driver. Wife Claire in the jacket. Also our friends Ben and DeAnne crewing. was a very fun weekend.

Only owned this boat for about a year and a half. This past weekend was really the first time I have been able to really focus on making her go fast. she is fast. We passed a bunch of boats during the pursuit race on Sunday.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Awesome. I love seeing more Ericsons out there racing. I think we do quite respectably for our ratings bands. What was your race experience like? Anything you learned about your boat trying to make it go faster than usual?

L

Leslie Newman

Awesome. I love seeing more Ericsons out there racing. I think we do quite respectably for our ratings bands. What was your race experience like? Anything you learned about your boat trying to make it go faster than usual?

This was the second time I have raced Osprey. But the first time was last year at the Turkey Shoot and there was no wind at all. This time we had plenty of wind. I learned that she is really fast. One captain commented after the race that he had never been passed so quickly by another sailboat. The boat points exceptionally well. I out pointed most of the other boats on the course. I think if I had more racing experience, and had a better start on Saturday we would have been on the podium. But due to my inexperience, and the 25 knot+ winds on Saturday, we had a very late start, being out of position when our flag went down. But Sunday we moved up a couple of places, but not enough to podium.

She is fastest sailing from just ahead of beam to before being close hauled. I hit 8.6 knots. I've seen 9 knots. 11 surfing down a wave. Thing about my boat is it cuts through the water, where more flatter bottomed boats seem to fight the waves more.

This boat had a wing keep that the previous owner had altered to be a fin. Working with the designer he had the winds removed and the fin extended slightly, but not as deep as the original Ericson deep keel. My boat is exactly 6' draft.

I did learn that I reefed too late and should have stayed reefed all day Saturday. I had shook out the reef for a run and did not put it back. I should have due to the wind conditions. I will work more at my trimming skills with this boat and hope to get better.

I love this boat.