• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spinnaker Pole track for E32

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'm looking at adding a t-track and sliding ring car to my mast for whisker/spinnaker pole use. Anyone know the size of the factory installed mast track on E32-35s? 1"? 1 1/4"? Doest it matter much?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, a fixed ring on the mast may work fine and save money.

For a whisker pole, the height of the ring above deck is the same for all percentages of roller furling (with the same genoa jib).

Might not be level for the spinnaker, but close is often good enough.

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
I'm looking at adding a t-track and sliding ring car to my mast for whisker/spinnaker pole use. Anyone know the size of the factory installed mast track on E32-35s? 1"? 1 1/4"? Doest it matter much?

Not sure of the differences between your E-32 and our ‘73 E32-II but I can/will take photos and measurements of what we installed on our boat if you’d like???

Ours has worked very well over the years for us. ...I await your reply.
-kerry (kapnkd)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Anyone know the size of the factory installed mast track on E32-35s?

I'd be willing to bet it is 1-1/4"

I think Geoff's 32-III is set up for spinnaker, he'd know. Failing that, I can measure the track on a 35-3 across the dock from me, tomorrow...

Bruce

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Christian, the adjustable pole dosen't matter if you are setting a wisker pole but it is absolutly necessary if you are flying symetrical spinnakers. From a guy who loves his chutes.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Not sure of the differences between your E-32 and our ‘73 E32-II but I can/will take photos and measurements of what we installed on our boat if you’d like???

Sure Kerry (and Bruce) that'd be great if you could.

All the Genoa car tracks on my boat are 1 1/4, so one thought is to keep the mast track the same (ie, a mast ring car can be used as a moveable tieoff point on the Genoa track for docking, etc).

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I'd be willing to bet it is 1-1/4"

I think Geoff's 32-III is set up for spinnaker, he'd know. Failing that, I can measure the track on a 35-3 across the dock from me, tomorrow...

Bruce

I wish, this is a mid-term dream of mine. Rig inspection confirmed I'm not in danger of destruction for the near future, though will change it out before a big trip.

I would go with 1 1/4" track if I were to do this project tomorrow, for similar reasons Kenneth already mentioned. I'd also probably rig up blocks on top and bottom for easily adjustable up/down of the butt end.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I walked around the docks a bit. Neither of the 35-3s on B-dock are rigged for spinnaker. Both the 32-2 and the 35-2 have 1-1/4" track, as does the Catalina 320 and the Cal-31.

The only 1" tracks I saw on C-dock were on Catalina-30s, for whatever that's worth.

$.02
Bruce

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Just one more point for consideration - If you want to store the pole vertically on the mast (maybe a dicey proposition for these smaller boats?) it takes a considerably longer track than the stock one. Or at least longer than the one that came on my boat...

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Some photos

My 32-3 came with a old, heavy, humongous spinnaker pole that was mounted on the deck when not in use. I kept tripping over the deck mounts and so when I sold the pole I also sold the mounts (on eBay) and filled in the screw holes in the deck. The boat also came with a spinnaker and that was sold soon after cause I often single hand or sail with my first mate and she hated the spinnaker and what I had to do to fly it.

So I used the money from the sales to buy a forespar whisker pole to use with the job and it’s worked great since set up is much easier the a spinnaker when short handed. I store the pole in two mounts that attach to the stanchions on the port side. Because the boat had been set up for spinnaker use there was a “T” track on the mast and a sliding ring along with a topping lift for the whisker pole. The track appears to be one inch wide and I added a sliding cleat to it which comes in handy for securing the topping lift when not in use. Here are some pics for you.

155EFDFA-EE09-4594-9F0A-4610187A9051.jpg82BE757F-FD47-4BBB-A042-B240B3BCCAF0.jpg
1ECE96DB-479C-4ACD-9999-870B4D9C82BF.jpg

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Sure Kerry (and Bruce) that'd be great if you could.

All the Genoa car tracks on my boat are 1 1/4, so one thought is to keep the mast track the same (ie, a mast ring car can be used as a moveable tieoff point on the Genoa track for docking, etc).

Hi Ken,

Measured the mast track for you and it is 1 1/4" by 80" in length. I'm deck stepped and the track begins about 6" from the base of the mast. (Keep in mind this is what we installed on our own and not factory.)
Also looked in my old owners manual and found the page of factory specs for the spinnaker pole track. Oddly enough, they only recommended a 1" width. (see attached photo)

Hope this will be of help to you!
fair winds! - kerry

Spinaker Track.jpg

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Hope this will be of help to you!
fair winds! - kerry

Kerry,

Thanks for the info and the diagram. I checked my 323 manual for Spinnaker diagrams, but it doesn't show any hardware info. Sounds like 1-1/4" track is a way to go.

Thanks for the info.

Ken

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Ken, do you already know how you're going to go about installing it? I need to do this as well, but am not sure how to go about calculating the proper track height, length, position, etc.

I've also never drilled/tapped aluminum so am a little concerned about getting it straight and not screwing it up...

kapnkd

kapnkd
Ken, do you already know how you're going to go about installing it? I need to do this as well, but am not sure how to go about calculating the proper track height, length, position, etc.

I've also never drilled/tapped aluminum so am a little concerned about getting it straight and not screwing it up...

Hi Geoff,

Here's a page out of my E-32 Owner's Manuel that may be of help to you for spinnaker track measurements. They recommended 1" track, but we went with 1 1/4" instead. ...Also, we went lower than what the manual shows to about 6" off the deck on the mast as we also use it for a whisker pole on the jib and that way it can stick out just above the life lines. (You can see the black spinnaker track in the photo as well.)

We clamped the track down on the mast to better align the holes and keep the drill a little more straight as well. It was done while our mast was off for winter storage, but should be able to do with the mast up as well. A slow and steady hand with the tap should work fine with the aluminum for you.

Hope this can be of help to you.
-kerry

Spinaker Track.jpg Mast Base Organizer.jpg

Last edited:

Brad Johnson

Member III
IMO it more depends on the safe working load of the car that will slide on track , if a 1" car is enough than the 1" track is fine

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Hi Geoff,

Hope this can be of help to you.
-kerry

Hey Kerry - thanks a lot. Apparently the 84 E32 manual doesn't have this diagram on it, though I do see in the text that they recommend 1 1/4" track. Our rigs are slightly different but I think the placement you posted makes sense for the 32-3 rig as well.