• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engine Use Poll

Total Engine Hours on my Ericson are:

• Under 1000

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • 1000-2000

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • 2000-3000

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • 3000-4000+

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My '84 ERicson 381 has about 2200 hours, according to the previous owner's immaculate records. He changed hour meters (Hobbs meter) a while back, so the new instrument reads about 400. (Hour meters are just clocks, and they typically fail and need to be replaced at some point).

Perhaps here we will find the forum leader in engine hours, and the owner who bought a 30-year-old boat that had never been motored at all.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Mine had 1898 on the clock when I got the keys, and has 2044 now, so I've added ~150 in a little under 4 years.

Notably, a good chunk of that was motoring on the "grand cruise" to Genoa Bay for the 2018 rendezvous, and through the san juans and points north for the 2019 rendezvous. But for those two trips, I think my total would be about 60 hours for the 4 years.

Bruce

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
These results will be quite interesting! Our 1984 E30+ has 2,594 engine hours. Where we live on Vancouver Island, we can sail year round, usually do two or three trips of two to three weeks (Gulf Islands, San Juan Islands, Desolation Sound, etc.) per year, quite a few four or five day getaways, and lots of day sails. Being retired helps!
I sail whenever the wind and weather allows, motoring only to leave and return to the dock, or when the wind dies or my destination has the wind right on our nose. Despite trying to minimize engine use, we still average about 200 engine hours per year.
I baby the engine with oil changes at least every 75 engine hours, new coolant periodically, fuel injector service, etc. in the hope that I won't have to rebuild or replace the engine before I stop sailing for health reasons. I've heard that these diesels should be ok for about 5,000 engine hours before needing serious work, so that would give me about 10 more years.
I'll be interested in what others report.
Frank

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
No idea. The boat had no meter when I took possession, and I’ve burned out two (on the third) meters in 7 years. So the totals are meaningless.

Most years, I put on less than ten hours. I might start the engine to maneuver around the marina, or to shoot the bridge, but not put it in gear unless I get scared. But one trip down and back up the Big River to the ocean can easily put on more than 200 hours, if the winds are not favorable.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I wonder how many of those reporting in the lowest total hours category have re-powered. Also, many of us with original engines probably have to guess at our total hours because our meters gave up long ago (in my case - wasn't working when I bought the boat), or we replaced the meter after a long gap since the old one quit. So, I think we're comparing apples and oranges a bit here.
A parallel poll of approx engine hours used per year might be a useful corollary to the total hours data ... but, I don't know how to set up a poll :-\

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How many hours

Our boat's factory Hobbs meter was working when we became the second owner in 1994. Approx 1000 hrs, and it had been used quite a bit for a big sailing club on SF Bay.
When I replaced the original engine last year it showed about 2300 hours.
New engine now has around 30 hrs. (Too much going on around home to take the boat North this season, so it simply got used less.)

Interesting that quite a few owners do not have a working hour meter; that's my measurement tool for oil changes, etc. along with the calendar.

Actually, now we have two such displays -- the new Betamarine panel has a digital hour readout incorporated into the tach display, and since I wanted an easy-to-read one, I installed a new meter in the engine compartment. Thanks to the internet, a good quality one is not very expensive, in any case.
I did have to cover the original round meter face hole in the side of the engine compartment, tho. Pix in my blog.

Probably it's just me, but when shopping a used boat (or even a vehicle), even if the seller seems very trustworthy, I am a bit skeptical of a disabled or broken hour (or elapsed mileage) readout.
I know how expensive a new/rebuilt engine can be, and want some assurance that the maintenance in the past was performed with due diligence. I do suffer from an excess of caution sometimes. :rolleyes:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Our boat's factory Hobbs meter was working when we became the second owner in 1994. Approx 1000 hrs, and it had been used quite a bit for a big sailing club on SF Bay.
When I replaced the original engine last year it showed about 2300 hours.
New engine now has around 30 hrs. (Too much going on around home to take the boat North this season, so it simply got used less.)

Interesting that quite a few owners do not have a working hour meter; that's my measurement tool for oil changes, etc. along with the calendar.

Actually, now we have two such displays -- the new Betamarine panel has a digital hour readout incorporated into the tach display, and since I wanted an easy-to-read one, I installed a new meter in the engine compartment. Thanks to the internet, a good quality one is not very expensive, in any case.
I did have to cover the original round meter face hole in the side of the engine compartment, tho. Pix in my blog.

Probably it's just me, but when shopping a used boat (or even a vehicle), even if the seller seems very trustworthy, I am a bit skeptical of a disabled or broken hour (or elapsed mileage) readout.
I know how expensive a new/rebuilt engine can be, and want some assurance that the maintenance in the past was performed with due diligence. I do suffer from an excess of caution sometimes. :rolleyes:

Just as another reference point, there was never one installed on my boat.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Just as another reference point, there was never one installed on my boat.
I bought my boat from an estate - the owner had used the boat entirely by himself and he had no family, so there was no engine history to pass on to me.
But, he'd maintained it very well and had spares for almost everything (and I had a survey done), so I didn't worry about the (still not working) engine hours meter, which I think reads ~2400 (I've added <50 hrs in 3 years).

ddoles

Member III
My boat never had, and still does not have, an engine hour meter. After 30+ years and several owners with the original engine there is no way to even guess total engine hours. For maintenance purposes I just go by annual cycles for oil changes, filter changes, etc. And then fix/replace stuff when problems arise (hoses, heat exchanger, starter, water pump, etc.) The engine is still going strong.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
My 87 E34 had about 2300 hours when we purchased it about 6 years ago and now has about 2550. Mostly in and out of the slip/harbor. I cannot get the rpm up to the ~3200 listed in the manual, it peaks out at about 2500 and I cruise it at 2200 as per the PO's recommendation.

It may be over propped, he installed a three bladed (15-8 R) prop and maybe the 8" pitch is too much, anybody have any comments on this? But with my Univeral M25 XP, the boat is definitely under powered. A good mechanic did go over the engine and adjusted the valves but other than that, his comments were just that the engine was a bit "tired" and otherwise reliable. Sure he said diesels can last 5000 - 10000 hours under normal use but just getting in and out of the slip/harbor was tough on diesels. And for about $20K he could replace it with a "sweet" Yanmar. I will keep the tired engine.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The cruise for the XP is 2200 to 2600. I normally cruise mine at 2400-2500. 2,000 is a bit slow. The first thing to check is to see if the tac is accurate or reading low. That can be done with a handheld digital photo sensing tach like mechanics use. One of your friends may have one. If not, they are $20 to $60 for a new one. If you find the boat's tach to be accurate (unlikely), you can have the prop repitched next time the boat is hauled. A good prop shop can tell you if the the15X8 pitch is correct. You don't mention the hours on the engine but "tired" engines show signs of distress. More likely your injectors need replacement. If the compression is normal and the leak down test shows no valve leakage, your engine is not "tired"

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The very first boat broker I met in 2015 when I started looking for sailboats made an interesting comment. He said, "You're looking for 50 hours per year on an auxillary diesel. Any more, and that's a problem, any less, and that's a problem too."

Obviously, there's a range. But I thought he made it pretty good point. I was satisfied when I found a 31 year old E32 with 1,900 hours on it. Close enough...

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Ken,
In my opinion that first brokers comment is way too simplistic. Obviously it's nice to buy a boat with a well maintained engine with low hours - - our 1984 E30+ had 580 hours when we bought it in 2005. However, since then we've averaged about 200 hours per year cause we sail year round, go on many sailing trips, and have visited areas like the Swinomish channel, Princess Louisa Inlet, Discovery Islands where hours of motoring is required to get there due to narrow channels, need to arrive at slack tide, or other reasons. Although our engine now has 2,595 hours use, it has had superb maintenance and is in great shape. I'm sure it will run well for many more years. I have had offers to buy our boat cause it looks pristine but it's not for sale. So I think your first brokers comment is short sighted. Just my opinion.
Frank

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Christian, in flat waters with little wind, I can make about 6.3kt but in some chop and some wind, I have trouble making more than 5.5kt at 2200 rpm, dont know if that is typical or not.

Regarding the tach accuracy, I did buy an optical tack (with a reflective dot pasted on the flywheel) and as I recall the two were within about 100 rpm. So maybe my reading of 2500 rpm at WOT is 2600 but certainly not 3200 or 3300 as I was led to believe.

Regarding the pitch of the diameter and prop do the mavens out there consider that over propped?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might want to see what pitch prop is on Bob's E-34.
I have paced him for miles at a time, at a little under 7 kts, in smooth water.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
In my opinion that first brokers comment is way too simplistic.

Frank,

Yes, the comment is overly simplistic. Therein lies the beauty and wisdom of it.

Of course there are exceptions and outliers, and we all know the story of the old woman with the '65 Corvette lying under an old tarp in her garage. Occasionally these stories are even true, but for the multitude of boats, which is what the broker deals in, year after year, (without much of a personal stake in any given boat) it's a pretty good rule of thumb. The results of the survey seem to bear that out.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Herb, I have never hit seven knots either. Apparently I've come close. My knot meter said 6 1/2. The knot meter is another source of error. I would go with Loren's one every time. The chart plotter can be accurate if you run a course and it's reciprocal and average them. If the tac is reasonably accurate, the lack of ability to reach full RPM would indicate the engine is overloaded and not able to come up to full power. The culprit would be an overpitched prop.

I have a two bladed Michigan Sailor prop. I didn't want the extra drag of a three bladed prop under sail. I bought the 34 to sail, not to diesel around and I sail to the maximum extent possible. I didn't believe the hype that the three blade is so much better under power and I still don't. I would go with a folder except that this marina is "hot" and having a folder eaten away would make me cry.

I really don't know the correct size and pitch for a three blade prop but I would say you are overpitched. As a long time Bay Area sailor, I would say the need for a three blade prop is non existent there.

As I said earlier, I would get the advice from a good prop shop. They take the boat's size, weight and power into consideration. I would say repitching to a 15-7 or even 6 would be in order for you. One thing to remember is the M-25-XP is really minimal power for the E-34 so the prop has to be spot on.

Last edited: