6 24.00%
  • 2000-3000

12 48.00%
  • 3000-4000+

3 12.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Use

Principal Partner
    your E34 sounds like it was made at Pacific Seacraft and I understand that they switched from the Universal M25XP to a Volvo engine so I agree that the Yanmar sounds like a repower, probably a much better engine than the Volvo.

Blog Entries

Electircal

Quote Originally Posted by drrhill View Post
    I just bought my 90' 34-2 last month and hauled it for cutlass bearing, bottom paint, and a few of the other items the survey revealed. Hobbs meter shows 600+/- and a second hobbs meter found in the nav table reads 900+/-. This boat has a Yanmar 3GM 30F. I assume she's been re-powered, but have no specifics. When I brought her home to Bellingham from Anacortes she motored at 1800 rpm at about 4 kn. Much more than that and the barnacle'd prop and wobbly loose cutlass bearing created vibration. After dialing it in and a bit of a billfold beatdown at Seaview North boatyard, she purred home yesterday at 2000 rpm at 6 kn. I'm happy. I pushed to 3000 rpm to see what she'd do. 6.9 came with a little vibration. It was apparent that she was much happier at 6 kn. Now to finish that surveyor's list.
    A good friend with an '86 E-38-200, has a factory Yanmar. EY generally installed Universal's, but would put in other brands if the buyer wanted. An experienced mechanic might be able to perform an inspection of the whole engine and exhaust and determine if yours is a replacement, but as long as the bolts to the engine beds are solid and it aligns OK, the whole thing is kind of academic now.
    Last year, when I replaced our M25XP, my mechanic friends all said the the Betamarine (we installed) was their first choice, and a Yanmar was acceptable. They all sort of rolled their eyes and shuddered when the word "Volvo" was mentioned.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Principal Partner
    The interesting thing is that not all Volvos are Volvos. There is a Volvo D-1-13 saildrive in the SJ26 in the yard. The engine is actually a Perkins attached to a Volvo saildrive.
    Last edited by supersailor; 10-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    Bob Morrison
    1987 E-34 Hull #15
    "Terra Nova"

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth K View Post
    The very first boat broker I met in 2015 when I started looking for sailboats made an interesting comment. He said, "You're looking for 50 hours per year on an auxillary diesel. Any more, and that's a problem, any less, and that's a problem too."

Obviously, there's a range. But I thought he made it pretty good point. I was satisfied when I found a 31 year old E32 with 1,900 hours on it. Close enough...
    I disagree with this broker. If most of those 50 hours/year were spent idling it to charge batteries, that's quite a diferent matter than if those 50 hours were run under a good load with an appropriately sized prop. Diesels *hate* to be babied. If I could know that the diesel was well maintained with regular oil and filter changes and so forth, and that it was run hard enough, to me the number of hours would be quite secondary (unless they were just horrendously high, which is hard to do on a sailboat).
    Last edited by Alan Gomes; 10-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.
    Alan Gomes
    1984 E26-2
    Yanmar 1GM
    San Pedro, CA

Quote Originally Posted by HerbertFriedman View Post
    Christian, in flat waters with little wind, I can make about 6.3kt but in some chop and some wind, I have trouble making more than 5.5kt at 2200 rpm, dont know if that is typical or not.

Regarding the tach accuracy, I did buy an optical tack (with a reflective dot pasted on the flywheel) and as I recall the two were within about 100 rpm. So maybe my reading of 2500 rpm at WOT is 2600 but certainly not 3200 or 3300 as I was led to believe.

Regarding the pitch of the diameter and prop do the mavens out there consider that over propped?
    Contact a prop shop and they can answer this for you. Be prepared to give them the engine HP, prop diameter, number of blades, max rpm, and transmission gear reduction. They will run some calculations and give you good information.
    Alan Gomes
    1984 E26-2
    Yanmar 1GM
    San Pedro, CA

Quote Originally Posted by supersailor View Post
    Herb, I have never hit seven knots either. Apparently I've come close. My knot meter said 6 1/2. The knot meter is another source of error. I would go with Loren's one every time. The chart plotter can be accurate if you run a course and it's reciprocal and average them. If the tac is reasonably accurate, the lack of ability to reach full RPM would indicate the engine is overloaded and not able to come up to full power. The culprit would be an overpitched prop.

I have a two bladed Michigan Sailor prop. I didn't want the extra drag of a three bladed prop under sail. I bought the 34 to sail, not to diesel around and I sail to the maximum extent possible. I didn't believe the hype that the three blade is so much better under power and I still don't. I would go with a folder except that this marina is "hot" and having a folder eaten away would make me cry.

I really don't know the correct size and pitch for a three blade prop but I would say you are overpitched. As a long time Bay Area sailor, I would say the need for a three blade prop is non existent there.

As I said earlier, I would get the advice from a good prop shop. They take the boat's size, weight and power into consideration. I would say repitching to a 15-7 or even 6 would be in order for you. One thing to remember is the M-25-XP is really minimal power for the E-34 so the prop has to be spot on.
    Agreed. And the issue is not just trying to squeak out the last half knot of speed, but running the engine in the part of the torque curve that makes it happy.
    Alan Gomes
    1984 E26-2
    Yanmar 1GM
    San Pedro, CA