• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A better route for furler line on e27

JPS27

Member III
I have always hated my furler line set up. See picture. I believe the bulls eye fairleads on the deck may have been used for something else (spinnaker related?), but were repurposed. The problem is the line is chafing the gelcoat off the cabin side in one section

Note: the middle eye is loose as I was playing around with an extra one to see if I can keep it off the cabin side. I just don't want to put more holes in my boat and I'd rather find a better way and get rid of the toe stubbing eyes.

Any suggestions for routing this back to the cockpit? If I use the stanchions the line with run in front of (and maybe against the shrouds). I was trying to figure out a way to run it to the track but the shrouds are in the way. thanks.

jay

IMG_2138.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Most of the furler lines I see run along the bulwarks, guided by blocks on the stanchions.

And on the port side, since Ericson put spinnaker pole mounts on the starboard foredeck.

furler fairleads.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have always hated my furler line set up. See picture. I believe the bulls eye fairleads on the deck may have been used for something else (spinnaker related?), but were repurposed. The problem is the line is chafing the gelcoat off the cabin side in one section

Note: the middle eye is loose as I was playing around with an extra one to see if I can keep it off the cabin side. I just don't want to put more holes in my boat and I'd rather find a better way and get rid of the toe stubbing eyes.

Any suggestions for routing this back to the cockpit? If I use the stanchions the line with run in front of (and maybe against the shrouds). I was trying to figure out a way to run it to the track but the shrouds are in the way. thanks.

jay

View attachment 27851

The first furler line on our boat was led thru bolls-eye fittings at each stanchion base. I changed them all, as budget allowed, the the Garhauer solution. Really works well.
https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanchions-accessories/stanchion-blocks/stanchion-block-sb-3.html

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I don’t see how those fairleads would work for anything. Well, maybe with one or two more points on the curve. But I’ve got something like that (higher up on the cabin side) for the spinnaker downhaul. But they shoot straight to turning blocks near the pulpit bases.
As the others said, swivel blocks on the stanchion bases’ll do ya. I’ve got my furler line lead to an otherwise seldom-used secondary (spinnaker sheet) winch. Which you’re not supposed to do. So sue me. One of these days, I’lol put in a clutch to hold the furler line when the spinnaker is actually in use.
Today’s drift-a-thon would have been a good day for that - possibly the first sail of the year under 20 knots...

JPS27

Member III
I've considered the stanchion to stanchion to stanchion route, which is the usual solution, I'd guess. But as this new pic shows I only have two stanchions, so the line's path would interfere too much to foot traffic and seems like it would pose a significant trip hazard. If I ran the line along the outside of the stanchion the chainplates would be in the way. T

Thanks Christian, for pointing out that just because it runs along the starboard side, doesn't mean I can't switch to avoid the clutter with spinnaker pole storage mounts. So obvious. But I'm still wondering about the line path.

Would a mid-route bulls eye fairlead on the port side be a bad idea? Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Important trivia -- the Garhauer solution puts the routing of the furler line on the *outside* of the stanchion rather than down the deck on the inside. This moves the line much further from the area where it will be stepped on. Having said that, the E-27 still does not have a stanchion at the shroud location, depending os seizing a lifeline to a shroud, in many of the ones I have seen.
Bit of a quandary, as one might say.

Upon further thought, perhaps seize one of these eyes to the shroud for the furler (and maybe also the lifeline wire) to pass thru. Use SS seizing wire.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/antal-low-friction-ring-7-mm-line-size-r10-07

It's just a thought, and I have not yet had my morning coffee...........

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My rig looks in the photo like a trip hazard (now that I look at it), but in the real world it isn't. When not in use it just lies passive.

Whichever combination of blocks you use, perhaps Garhauer and standard if necessary, there is really no reason why you can't screw a block to the bulwark or the deck as needed. The layup is thick there and the only significant pressure from the furling line is on the first block, at the bow.

I was surprised to find, when I replaced it a few weeks ago, that my first block was simply screwed onto the deck (not through-bolted).
1-IMG_5063.jpg

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
The first furler line on our boat was led thru bolls-eye fittings at each stanchion base. I changed them all, as budget allowed, the the Garhauer solution. Really works well.
https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanchions-accessories/stanchion-blocks/stanchion-block-sb-3.html
This one is by Schaefer and it also allows you to route the furling line outside the stanchions to clear the deck. Not cheap.;)

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/schaefer-marine-60-mm-clear-step-block-delrin-506-44