• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Buying Ericson 35.5 Mk3

e_herlihy

I am close to an agreement for purchasing a 1985 Ericson 35.5 Mark III. This is a fresh water, one owner boat and has been very well taken care of. It has a new hot water tank, new mast, refreshed rigging and good sail inventory. Next week I am heading to Annapolis to look at a few add-on items. I would appreciate any advice on the following:

• Auto Pilot. I think I want to add one. Not sure if I should build my own, get a wheel unit or piston unit.
  • Dinghy: (I would prefer a dinghy that could carry 4 people).
    • Anyone with suggestions regarding storage, or appropriate size for a dinghy would be appreciated, as I hope to spend many nights next summer at anchor on the Great Lakes.
    • Should I add davits to the boat, put the dinghy in front of the mast or between the mask and companionway?
    • Without davits, what suggestions do you have for the dinghy to be hauled on deck.
  • Any other suggestions you would make for 1st year upgrades.

jamescio

Member II
Is that the boat over in Sandusky that RCR was showing? I am over in Ashtabula with my 30+ and always look for Ericson's for sale in Ohio. I added a Raymarine Autopilot system which really works well. I am extremely satisfied with it. I really don't have any suggestions on a dinghy. But let me know if you get it.

Jim Ciotti
1982 Ericson 30+
Southern Cross

fool

Member III
Welcome to the forum!

Autopilot, yes, you want one of those. The 35 mk III will to well with a wheel autopilot. If you use the search function you’ll find discussions and conclusions regarding the same. If you have difficulty finding the threads please shout out and someone will come to the rescue. I took out an obsolete below decks unit and replaced it with the same based on conversations with the vendor. The smart thing would have been to save $2k and hours of crawling around in small spaces wishing I had longer arms and smaller hands by installing a perfectly capable wheel driven unit. Live life, learn lessons.

Davits, handy to have and I put a set of 42” x 42” Garhauer davits off the stern to hold a RIB when the motor has been removed and mounted on the rails. The arm length of the davit was to try to overcome some of the reverse on the stern. Even so, it takes an oar to push the dinghy clear when raising, but then tucks it in nicely when hoisted. Sadly, I can’t use the self-steering vane with this convenience and will take them off eventually. I don’t really notice the extra weight on the stern, about equal to a small human sized crew mate.

I believe Christian Williams puts his sailing dinghy before the mast. We’ll have to see if he weighs in on how the heck he get’s it up and off of there, and how often. A dinghy that can hold four is going to weigh some pounds and have to be of a size that will eat up a bunch of foredeck room, not to mention awkward to move around. Might be worth taking a couple of trips with crew on a smaller rubber duck.

Glad to have another 35 III aboard. You’ll like it here...

Max

e_herlihy

Annapolis 2019

I had a blast at Annapolis but was amazed to watch the show get flooded as the high afternoon tides arrived.
I spend a good deal of time talking to RayMarine and like the EV-100 and the Axiom 9000 chart-plotter.
On the dinghy front, I am thinking that the the Porta-Boat 10 may be the ideal solution.
If you have access to an Ericson 35 and could tell me if you think I could fit a 10' 9" x 24" x 7" folded boat along the rail I would appreciate it.
I would probably add a Honda outboard or consider a Torqeedo electric unit
I am also excited about a electric WinchRiite from Sailoigy

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
On the dinghy front, I am thinking that the the Porta-Boat 10 may be the ideal solution.
If you have access to an Ericson 35 and could tell me if you think I could fit a 10' 9" x 24" x 7" folded boat along the rail I would appreciate it.
I would probably add a Honda outboard or consider a Torqeedo electric unit

Sounds like an ideal application for the Magma rail mount or similar. I've had them for a few seasons on an E29 and they do hold a SUP or Yak securely outside the rail while keeping the deck clear. It's not without compromise - occasionally they interfere with the sheets and can block views from the cabin. Or from the cockpit, when seated. And I imagine that a boarding wave off-shore would wreak mayhem.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In response to Max, my Eastport Pram only weighs 65 pounds wet. It's easy for one person to leverage it over the side, or haul it back up. The lifelines are the handy fulcrum.

A small inflatable is just as easy to carry up there--and holds more people than the pram. I carried the pram on the 32-3 also, same ease.

Attachments

• crop dinghy deck cover name.JPG
    crop dinghy deck cover name.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

e_herlihy

Insurance "totaled" the boat

I was looking to buy this 1985 boat with known history and in good condition at the end of the season. However, a mishap has caused the boat to now have a broken mast. The insurance company decided to "total" the boat.
I have seen a quote for a new mast, standing and running rigging for over $25k. I fear putting that much into a boat of this age may be a mistake even if I got the boat at a very low price.
  • Since the insurance company "totaled" the boat, does that make it un-insurable?
  • Should I look for a used mast or lower cost rigging alternative?
  • Is buying the boat from a salvage company a bad idea
  • Should a look for a different boat?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Decisions, decisions

I was looking to buy this 1985 boat with known history and in good condition at the end of the season. However, a mishap has caused the boat to now have a broken mast. The insurance company decided to "total" the boat.
I have seen a quote for a new mast, standing and running rigging for over $25k. I fear putting that much into a boat of this age may be a mistake even if I got the boat at a very low price.
  • Since the insurance company "totaled" the boat, does that make it un-insurable?

Is this the boat referenced in the first thread message?
I wonder if the "mishap" was due to ancient rigging, and if there might be other deferred maintenance on the boat?
Good news is that an all-new standing rig does add real value, down the road. I do not know how or if any state issues a "salvage title" on boats like they do on wrecked vehicles that are repaired and then sold.

I would seek council from a good surveyor and also from a reputable insurer.
The salvage company just wants to buy low and sell for more than they paid.
Different boat? Well, there are always other fish in the sea, as the old saying has it.
And back to the rig, if you can really "start over" on all of the standing rigging and spars, this is really nice, going forward.
Kind of depends on whether you plan on keeping it for 3 years or 20 years, also.

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Do you know how badly the mast is broken? Often they can be repaired by sleeving - making them as strong as before (albeit often less bendy in the repaired section).
Maybe a local rigger will give a quote to repair it. I know from recent experience that just replacing all the standing rigging (19x1 wire) will cost ~$4000.

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I have a good friend with a Tartan 34 who had broken his mast twice, I will skip the unfortunate details, but he was able to replace his mast at low cost twice. The first time the yard had a broken mast from a larger boat and was able to use the remaining piece as a mast for the 34. On the second time, the yard as able to sleeve the mast again at low cost. You may be lucky, but there are other options.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If I broke my mast, I'd fix it too.

I just worry about resale value of any yacht with a sleeved or non-standard mast.

That would put me off big-time, as the kids say. (Or used to say)