• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racing 34-2

patrscoe

Member III
I am considering entering into a few races next year in my 34-2. The previous owner only raced this sailboat, didn't cruise that much at a all (I don't have his contact info as the broker purchase the sailboat from the PO due to that he was ill and than I purchased from him). So when I purchased the sailboat late last year, it came with a extensive sail inventory including two laminated main and three laminated genoa sails, and low hours on the engine as he only motored out to the race and back in.
I am not interested in the Wednesday night club races which I have done on previous sailboats but as I am getting older, I enjoy long distance sailing and their are a few long distance races on the Chesapeake bay, e.g. Down the Bay (120nm), Governors Cup (70nm) and so on.

I am encouraged as she appears to sail well, either in light to moderate winds. It seem that this summer, even with a good wind forecast, I would go out and the winds would drop below 10 knots but even at 6 or 7 knots, she would still sail about 4 knots. I do seem to reef either the main or genoa a little earlier than I am use to, maybe around 15 knots, even when I trim back.

Can anyone give me feed back on the 34-2 or even 32-3 sails to it's PHRF?
Thanks!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Patrick. The 34 is absolutely awesome in light air. Club members speak in awe for it's ability to keep up with the Club vanguard dinghies when the air is barely moving and I don't have the large sail selection you do although the 1/2oz and 1 1/2oz spinnakers help a lot. I have always said that you can tell a truly awesome sailor not by the way he sails in heavy air but how he sails in light air. Any fool can make a boat move when the wind is howling. Only some have the "touch" to feel their way in light air and the 34 makes you look good.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I've been racing my 32-3 in PHRF races around here, non-flying sails. It absolutely sails to its rating and beyond, compared to boats of a similar vintage. It holds its own against the fleet upwind and I do not feel that I'm at a boat-borne disadvantage against the others. It does seem to perform significantly better than the 32-1 and 32-2, as noted in performance against these boats while racing, though I'm sure kapnkd's 32-2 would teach me a lesson.

Teranodon

Member III
Like Bob says, the E34 is a good light air boat. But she does well when the wind picks up too. Everyone knows that Ericson boats are good sailing boats, so why wouldn't they be good racers as well? I have a rating of 144 (with the cruising asymmetrical spinnaker) and I find it makes me quite competitive. The mainsheet arrangement is not perfect, so I tend to use the traveler. Also, single-handing is hard, especially tacking, but that may be mostly related to age. Mine, not the boat's.

oldfauser

Member III
we do very well in distance races as the 32-3 sails very well to it's rating. We rate 171 PHRF on Lake Michigan. Keys are not overpowering the boat. If we have more than a quarter turn of helm, check everything as something is out of adjustment or we are overpowered - reef the main or jib!

key thing is to have fun!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hmm, 144? My 34 is rated at 135. I have a 130. fixed prop and two symetrical spinnakers. Mabey I should get rerated?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Key thing to remember is that "racing" is best viewed as a way to become a better sailor in a variety of conditions. If it becomes an end in itself..... then it can become a risk to the boat and others around you.

Trimming the boat for max speed is good for more than racing on Tuesday nights and occasional Saturdays. When you have a fast and easily-sailed boat like an Ericson (or my Olson) it is fun to sail all of the time.

Example - This week on Wednesday afternoon I and a buddy took my O-34 out for a sail. Wind was not predicted to be much, but surprised us by reaching and holidng on at about 12 out of the SE, which allowed to head almost straight up the Columbia on starb. tack. Lost some progress on port tack due to current, but those were the shorter 'dog leg' tacks.
Another club boat was out, with a full crew --- Santana 30 with a 150 genny. They looked to be trimmed in OK, but from about 200 yards behind, we passed them up after several long tacks and then put a lot of yardage on them.
We had our full main, 97% jib, and new dodger. Not a very high performance setup. Heck, we have a three blade prop.
So........... While it's true we are rated faster when flying larger genoa's, our boat design is just plain faster all of the time.
I know that Bob has that experience with his Bruce King E-34, and also just loves the designed-in performance. :)

It gets better -- diver was there yesterday and took off a layer of slime that was slowing us down a bit.

While most of the new sailboats have more room to do Irish Dance routines inside, what they are NOT built to do is actually sail.
:egrin:

Years ago, one of the regulars here used to say that his Ericson was "pretty, fun, and fast." Certainly does seem to sum it up!

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
My 1987 E34 was sailed on Lake Mead and San Diego in the1990's and has four race plaques on the nav table for first and second place wins. I do not race but I agree it is a very fast boat. Not much light winds in SF so I sail often with a double reef and about 50% jib (winds are usually 20-25kts) and I still do about 6 kts, fast enough for my wife.

Teranodon

Member III
Key thing to remember is that "racing" is best viewed as a way to become a better sailor in a variety of conditions. If it becomes an end in itself..... then it can become a risk to the boat and others around you.

Loren,

Come on, I can't believe you mean that. I've been a racing addict for 40 years and, for me, it is an end in itself. Of course I always try to make the boat go fast, even when cruising, but there is nothing like the intense, single-minded, pure desire of constantly trimming sails and shifting weight, scanning the water ahead for winds and currents, devising ways of outwitting and squeezing out other boats, using the rules to gain an advantage, working as a team to win, win, win!

"A risk to the boat and others"? Never. Safety and good sportsmanship are as much a part of racing as going fast.

Stefan

P.S. To be completely honest, I prefer pure racing boats for my competitive fix. Right now, I am regular crew on my friend's 24-foot Raven centerboard dinghy. We just won the Lopez Cup.

Raven.jpg

patrscoe

Member III
Thanks for the input.
I agree with the intent of racing, in the past, it made me sail and trim better. Since the races I want to do are long distance, as I enjoy these more, I would need to pick up a new spinnaker before the spring.