• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Datamarine speed and depth with Raymarine i50 instruments

oldfauser

Member III
We're planning on replacing the original Datamarine instruments with new Raymarine ones. Of course this requires us to replace the thru hull transducers with new ones. In doing my research, the Datamarine ones use a 2 1/16' hole and the Raymarine ones use a 2" one. I'm sure I am not the first one to do this... experiences???? (I know that the routing of the new wires is going to be "fun"...)

thanks in advance!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
We're planning on replacing the original Datamarine instruments with new Raymarine ones. Of course this requires us to replace the thru hull transducers with new ones. In doing my research, the Datamarine ones use a 2 1/16' hole and the Raymarine ones use a 2" one. I'm sure I am not the first one to do this... experiences???? (I know that the routing of the new wires is going to be "fun"...)
thanks in advance!

Are you installing Raymarine's proprietary connectivity system (SeaTalk, I think it's called). If not, maybe you'd consider a non-through-hull unit and just fill in that large hole. I think there are good hull-penetrating depth sounders, and you just need a phone app to give you speed over the ground (if you won't be installing a chartplotter or other GPS receiver). There might even be good BlueTooth systems too.
But pulling the new wiring shouldn't be too hard since you can use the old sensor's wires to pull the new wire from the new sensor to the display head. Power for the display head will already be wired for the old unit. But, if you're installing a SeaTalk backbone, then, yeah, you've gonna have some extra fun that you didn't even pay for when buying the new unit.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
By all means get a chartplotter, they're cheap, simple and better than the GPS in a car. Airmar will make a compatible sonar transducer that glues on the interior hull and you can just leave the plug in the old transducer hole.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
By all means get a chartplotter, they're cheap, simple and better than the GPS in a car. Airmar will make a compatible sonar transducer that glues on the interior hull and you can just leave the plug in the old transducer hole.

Would Airmar make a compatible transducer that would fit the Data Marine housing? Just a thought.

Slick470

Member III
The difference between a 2-1/16" hole vs a 2" hole really isn't that much. You may be just fine with the existing slightly larger hole and fill any extra gap with the 5200 or other sealant of choice. Especially if the new transducer housing is a mushroom head style with the flange.

oldfauser

Member III
the Airmar site has some interesting units... like UDST800 Ultrasonic Smart™ Sensor - single sensor that does it all! Price is a bit high though. I think Raymarine uses Airmar sensors as all of the part numbers are the same as Raymarine!

debonAir

Member III
The cable from most transducers to the instruments isn't Seatalk even for Raymarine systems. It is just an analog signal. Airmar makes pretty much all of the transducers for all the instrument manufacturers including Raymarine and Garmin, etc. The only real difference is the cable connector and the lettering. You can get transducers with built in conversion of the analog to Seatalk/NEMA but that's more expensive and a thicker cable to run and not needed if your instruments can take the analog direct.

Newer Raymaine instruments use Seatalk Ng which is just NEMA2000 with proprietary connections so you can "convert" to NEMA2000 with just a cable adapter.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The OP seems to be looking for a KM and DS display, so "user interface" should not be a problem.
Every brand makes friends and enemies.... Garmin succeeding in angering me with their previous generation of plotter. They may have improved, but I am reluctant to spend any $ on them to find out.

oldfauser

Member III
we have decided on a Raymarine I70s System Pack, Wind, Depth, Speed. This will network with our existing ST6002 Raymarine Autopilot and Standard Horizon Chart plotter. We are going to add an additional i70s display for additional output. Best thing is that there is a $250 rebate on the system until Oct 15th!

This system comes with the Dst800 single transducer so we only have to replace one of the Datamarine transducers and pull one wire. we are also pulling the mast for maintenance this year so replacing the masthead unit will be easy (as "easy" as doing anything on a 30 year old boat is); pulling the new wire through the headliner from the mast to the panel might be "interesting" though...

nquigley

Sustaining Member
// pulling the new wire through the headliner from the mast to the panel might be "interesting" though...
... just use the old existing wire to pull the new wire through the headliner space - no need to use a fish tape - but make certain the two wires are firmly attached to each other - consider using a crimp instead of just tape to keep them together.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
man you have three easy choices: patch the hole and install transducer in another location as stated by others. patch existing hole and ream it out to the proper size. or use the existing hole and live with the 1/32 gap around your transducer housing. me personally, i can easily make up that gap with some poxy and sandpaper afterward. good luck and try not to sink your boat!

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
I think were are going to remove the old transducer for the speedometer (its the forward one); fill the 1/32 gap and bed the new one... pull the wires and make sure the bilge pump works :esad: Just kidding...(we always make sure the bilge pump works)... I'll make sure it's done correctly :egrin:

frick

Member III
it depends

thanks in advance!

When my old data marine speedometer died I replaced it. Had the same problem sight the through the hull.
The new mushroom did cover the old hole, so he wisDom of the yard... Was to prep and clean everything. Use slow cure 5200 to "fill" in the small gaps. I had a friend on the out side I was on the inside, and we carefully set the new mushroom in the dead center in the hole and we screwed in the big but and squished the 5200 out all around. We let it set up for to days before we launched. Thanks was ten years ago.

Just don't get the 5200 on the threads.

Rick

bozturk

Member I
I think were are going to remove the old transducer for the speedometer (its the forward one); fill the 1/32 gap and bed the new one... pull the wires and make sure the bilge pump works :esad: Just kidding...(we always make sure the bilge pump works)... I'll make sure it's done correctly :egrin:
Hey Oldfauser, I am planning to do the same, swap the old Datamarine insturments with the new Raymarine DST800 and some wireless ones. How did your transducer replacement go? Was it enough to fill the gap with marine sealent or did you have to do any other prep work? Any feedback helps

oldfauser

Member III
Hey Oldfauser, I am planning to do the same, swap the old Datamarine insturments with the new Raymarine DST800 and some wireless ones. How did your transducer replacement go? Was it enough to fill the gap with marine sealent or did you have to do any other prep work? Any feedback helps
we did replace the speed transducer with a new DST800. we used bedding compound last year. We did have a little "wetness" around the fitting so we are going to re-bed it this year with PL 4200, but all in all it worked fine. Just be sure to get it fully packed

The old depth transducer was a "bear" to get out. Had to cut it. I wanted to get all of the Datamarine parts and sending units out as i sent them to DMI for recycling! I used the original Datamarine thru-hull from the speed with the blank plug to fill the depth fitting hole as the Raymarine DST800 unit does depth, speed and temp in one thru hull.

we went with wired as the 32-3 has wire runs for the network cables! Also helping as this year we are adding an Axiom 7 at the helm along with a Raspberry PI to help with the AIS receiver, all tied into the Raymarine Seatalk ng network.

feel free to PM me for my phone number to discuss!