• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder Shaft Cap

David Grimm

E38-200
I get a slight klunk when under extreme throttle or heavy seas from the rudder. I removed the cap on the floor in the cockpit and the rudder tube is off center. It appears to be greased and there's not too much play in it. Should I be overly concerned?

Thanks guys, Dave20190929_143335.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Those four philips machine screws in the picture secure the upper rudder bearing to the deck of the cockpit.

My guess is that they're loose.

There are nuts below. Tighten them up. It will stop the rudder post from slamming around.

This can be observed while maneuvering if the cover plate is left off.

David Grimm

E38-200
Wow. Thanks Christian. I had read that on other posts you have commented on but I thought you were speaking of the 4 larger phillips head screws. Now I get the picture.
I'll check them before I depart Thursday for my solo trip to the Long Island Sound! The last go for the season.

debonAir

Member III
Interesting that the rudder tube is off-center from the access plate. My boat is like that also. But I've seen pics where the post is centered so thought mine was broken. The hole for my plate seems to be fwd of the center point between the four larger bolts that hold the mechanism in place. If those four smaller philips head bolts are holding the top of the rudder post bearing then wouldn't the rudder post be centered there? I suppose I'll find out when I replace the pedestal and redo the rudder post this off season.

David Grimm

E38-200
Ahoy Sailors. The weather took a sharp turn up here in the northeast! Went from 90 to 50 in a blink. Oh well. Here is what I came up with on the rudder bearings. On "Knot Normal" she has a huge brass bearing retaining plate that bolts to the underside of the cockpit. The top cap that is slightly off center has 4 machine screew threaded into the bottom plate. There are two grease fittings and a plastic spacer on the shaft. I loaded both zerks up with grease. While moving her from the outside wall of the marina into my nice new well protected slip i didn't notice any more rudder clunk. We'll see how it feels this sunday!

Attachments

• 20191009_203629.jpg
    20191009_203629.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20191009_203602.jpg
    20191009_203602.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 26

David Grimm

E38-200
Hey guys, In the photos I posted on this thread you will notice that there is a bolt that goes through the quadrant and rudder post. Is this bolt the only fastener holding the rudder in place? I got a below deck autopilot and need to get the rudder post diameter for a custom Edson below deck tiller arm.
I figure if I have a friend support the rudder I can pull that bolt and lower it enough to get the gray spacer out and measure the diameter that way.

Any suggestions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hey guys, In the photos I posted on this thread you will notice that there is a bolt that goes through the quadrant and rudder post. Is this bolt the only fastener holding the rudder in place? I got a below deck autopilot and need to get the rudder post diameter for a custom Edson below deck tiller arm.
I figure if I have a friend support the rudder I can pull that bolt and lower it enough to get the gray spacer out and measure the diameter that way.

Any suggestions?

Well, I do believe that the same thru bolt is present on my '88 boat. I was not at the yard when they dropped the rudder for an inspection many years ago, however.
Our boat has the stock YS steering assembly, BTW.

Aside: friend of mine has an '86 E-38-200, and he seems pleased with the Raymarine AP drive motor mounted on the wheel. I have that same setup, as well. both of our boats have made overnight passages up and down the WA coast.

gadangit

Member III

Any suggestions?

I think our quadrant is very similar, if not identical to what I see in the picture. The two bolts on each side thread into the quadrant squeeze the back "plate" ? that your cables are attached to around the shaft to the quadrant. The through bolt eliminates the rudder shaft from being able to spin independently from the quadrant.

Not sure how much access you have under there, but you could just take off the quadrant completely and measure the exposed rudder shaft. Will your rudder fall down? I don't know, but it sounds like you have a friend for that. Our rudder shaft is held on by a gudgeon and cannot fall down.

If worried about the rudder falling, you could just take off the 4 bolts, the cables and the nut of the through bolt. Punch the bolt back from the quadrant, but not all the way out. (All while supporting the quadrant.) You could trace the rudder half circle onto a piece of paper and finish the circle to measure.

Chris

Last edited: