• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Olson 34 Over-the-Road Height

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
Have any Olson 34 owners trucked their boat and happen to know the over-the-road height (bottom of keel to highest point above the waterline)?

Am good with the 6" from keel to waterline part :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ours was trucked to PDX from Oakland. It was a 'standard' over-the-road sailboat trailer - pulled by a Class 8 cab - where the bottom of the keel is not too far above the axel travel-limit point, is what I recall.

The mast was carpet-padded and plastic-wrapped and placed in a set of holders on the trailer frame, beneath the turn of the bilge. I recall that there was no question about overhead clearance. The spar is about 54 feet long overall, "tall rig", if they ask. You will check this before getting the bid anyway.

The pulpits and stanchions were all left on. I did remove the stern radar mast, of course.

A friend with a small pickup and canopy helped me with many of the "loose" parts, and we drove this lot home in one long 12 hour day. Spinnaker pole, radar pole, boom all on a rack on top, and a lot of rigging and misc parts from the inside of the boat packed inside our canopy.

Pad the heck our of anything and everything inside, and tape hatches closed. Vibration IS the enemy. Have your insurance binder in hand and do not totally depend on the trucking company for insurance, altho they will have some.

Try to be flexible enough in your timing that you can get the cost reduced by half.... IF they need to move the truck-n-trailer for another full-pay customer, and are wanting to make an "empty back haul" pay off. I was able to do this, and saved about 50% off the initial quote.

Last edited:

CTOlsen

Member III
Standard haul

Loki was trucked from Upstate NY to Virginia in 2009. I arranged for her haul through UShip and got a great deal. Although a wide load, I don't believe there were height restrictions. Mast was stored low on the trailer, hull was shipped on her winter cradle via a low-boy trailer. I'll post pix if I find them.
CTO

67rway

Member II
Over the road height 13'9", with the keel blocked up 8.5" off the keel shoe due to the custom saddles on this trailer, yesterday. Trailer shoe sits 8" from the ground.

Thanks to Jay Grizzell for the keel height dimensions in advance of the haul!

Attachments

• IMG_3177.JPG
    IMG_3177.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: