• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

In Search Of 1979 E27 Cradle

JHOnTheLake

I recently moved to a marina closer to my home and they are pushing on my getting for a cradle for winter storage. Either that or unstep the mast and put it on stands, which they really seem to dislike. Does anyone have a cradle they would like to part with or specs to build the cradle. I am comfortable with buying, cutting, and welding the steel but would like to get the measurements correct so I'm not tying up the lift and getting charged more.

I appreciate those who would much rather use stands, I've used them the last several years myself, but this year they are not an option.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
why do you have to take the mast down for storing on stands? isn't a cradle just stands welded on to a frame?

JHOnTheLake

That's what the marina wants

As I mentioned, we have successfully used stands in the past but this is a new marina to us and they require a cradle. It may have something to do with extreme winds in this location especially in the winter. Whatever the reason they require a cradle or that we unstep the mast to use stands.

My request is still for knowledge of anyone who has a cradle for an E27 or who has specs for such a cradle. Thank you.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
You might ask the marina if they would allow what is done here as an alternative. The stands are chained together as high up as possible and the bases are staked to the ground with large steel rods.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not sure how far you would want to drive, but there seem to some for sale (sort of) nearby.
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-boat-watercraft/ontario/sailboat-cradle/k0c29l9004

Having watched yard guys "blocking up" mine and other folks boats for many years, I can understand the need for a cradle anywhere the weather is majorly stormy and cold. Biggest threat is shifting of the ground -or the paved surface- under the supports -- freeze / thaw cycles.
Days of high and gusty winds can loosen up supports. Usually it's not too hard to secure supports with chains, but there is both science and caution involved.
Good luck in finding a cradle.

Last edited:

JHOnTheLake

Thank you

Thank you Loren, Thank you for understanding and those are both the most likely reasons they require a cradle. Thank you too for the link, though the ones there now are a bit far for me to drive to maybe some closer will pop up.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Cradle Action

The place I haul out requires cradles I think in large part because they are always shuffling us around. Pretty much every time I come down in the winter I have to hunt for my boat.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Because of real estate limitations my marina charges much more for using jack stands. They don't want to leave space for the travel lift to set boats. When the price got high enough I bought a used cradle from them which they modified for my boat. It took three years for payback plus they offered to buy back the cradle for 50% when I sell the boat or move.