• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted- Self Tailing Winches

Baslin

Member III
Hello,

Looking to buy a couple of used self tailing winches. Looking for Lewmar 30's or 40's or something comparable. Need to mount some winches on the mast for halyards and also one on the boom for reefing lines.

Thanks

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hello,

Looking to buy a couple of used self tailing winches. Looking for Lewmar 30's or 40's or something comparable. Need to mount some winches on the mast for halyards and also one on the boom for reefing lines.

Thanks
Check with Minney's in Costa Mesa (Newport Beach), CA.

Baslin

Member III
They have some nice stuff! Their website is not very user friendly so its hard to check inventory. Nothing that a phone call wont fix. Thanks for the heads up!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
They have some nice stuff! Their website is not very user friendly so its hard to check inventory. Nothing that a phone call wont fix. Thanks for the heads up!
You're right about the website. For me it's close enough to drive down there to have a look in person, but that's not the case for you.

I bought a pair of new-in-the-box Lewmar 30 self-tailers for half (or less?) of the retail price. You never know what they are going to have in their inventory from one day to the next so it's worth checking back.

Baslin

Member III
Has anyone taken advantage of the Buy 1 Get 1 Lewmar from West Marine? Are the prices set high from WM to make us feel like we are getting 2 for 1 ????..........I just ask because if the sale is really buy 1 get 1 at a good price, I would rather wait and get 2 brand new ones......rather than 2 used ones for about the same price.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Has anyone taken advantage of the Buy 1 Get 1 Lewmar from West Marine? Are the prices set high from WM to make us feel like we are getting 2 for 1 ????..........I just ask because if the sale is really buy 1 get 1 at a good price, I would rather wait and get 2 brand new ones......rather than 2 used ones for about the same price.

Not sure how often they have that sale, but they did in February, and I bought my two new 40ST winches that have now replaced the original 30ST pair on our housetop. I can get a semi-wholesale deal thru a friend with an old account @ Fisheries, but he does not have enough annual purchases to get the lowest wholesale.
Even other "web" deals could not beat the price that I paid.
Then I sold the old winches for $500. for the pair, in good working order. Actually, I could have sold them several times over! :)

So keep your eye open -- something may come along... and there is always next... February!
:cool:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
West Marine has a triple bonus points sale going on this weekend - a great time to buy expensive things that you really need, but have been putting off.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
West Marine has a triple bonus points sale going on this weekend - a great time to buy expensive things that you really need, but have been putting off.
Indeed. With my haul from the previous TBP event, combined with a previous-years-model discount, I recently picked up a practically "free" kayak. It makes me feel better to think of it as "free." There's no way I'm going to sit down and do the math on all the moola I've dropped at WM over the last year. :rolleyes:

jamescio

Member II

I have purchased from West Marine on the BOGO...it was a good deal! It generally runs late April or early May. I waited for months and it was for only a week. I would recommend it because these are brand spanking new. Just keep checking the West Marine on line ad and don't wait. It took me a couple of years because I missed it the first year.