• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for a 32-200 or a 32-3

wjgray3

Hi, new member here. I've seen several offerings on these subject models on Yachtworld or Sailboatlistings, but short of visiting the yachts themselves, the pictures and writeups don't tell the whole story. I could visit them, but it is difficult to decide which one(s) to go see. I live near Dallas, and these offerings are all over the country (and some out of the country). I've seen models listed from ~20k to ~60K. Is it possible that some of the listings have a history which members of this forum could provide illumination on? I'd like to limit my travels to only those offerings that hold reasonable promise.
I'm not afraid of a little work, as I'm a retired engineer, woodworker, and metal shop owner. But I'd prefer to buy something that is sailable right away, and requires only those things I'd prefer to upgrade later.

For example, there are three 32-200s that have a shoal draft currently on the market. One in San Francisco, one in Alameda, CA and one in Pensacola, FL. Priced from 37.5k to 39.9k.
There are two 32-3s with a shoal draft keel. One in Venice, FL, and one in West Haverstraw, NY. Priced from 19.9k to 33k.

I've written the brokers, but they haven't responded. I also suspect that the responses will be less than totally useful.

Anybody have a history report or recommendation on any of these models?
Thanks.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Hard to comment on specific listings without seeing the specific listings, but you'll find a number of 32-3 / 32-200 owners here who love their boats, myself included. The 32-200 was made by Pacific Seacraft after getting the molds from Ericson, and they usually have a bigger aft stateroom and the "V" style of settees down the saloon, instead of the port-side dinette + starboard settee combo common on the 32-3. I'd posit the biggest difference between the two models is just interior layout - fit/finish will be similar, and the sailing characteristics should be basically identical as well.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
There are usually a few Ericsons on Yachtworld.com located in Kemah TX (I think 3-4 at present). It might be worth a trip down there one weekend to view all of them so you can compare some of the various Ericson models in the flesh.
Then you'll be better prepared to assess others you see on line that you don't want to travel to.
Also - consider the cost of transporting a boat from wherever to your water - it's very expensive, so it might not really be worthwhile considering boats that are located too far away from you (therefore, you don't need to worry about traveling all over to see boats that are too far away).

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
..consider the cost of transporting a boat from wherever to your water -...might not really be worthwhile considering

Very valid point, to which I'll add a nuance.

A local boat might need a lot of "refreshing" (sails, electronics, covers, upholstery, deferred maintenance, etc, etc, etc), which can cost a lot of time and money.

A different boat might already have had all of the things you want done, but be geographically undesirable.

So, when evaluating options, the calculus becomes something like

-- Boat "A": purchase price + updates + no transport cost = "X"
-- Boat "B": purchase price + no updates + transport cost = "Y"

If "Y" is less than "X", and you'd end up with a boat in the location you want, in the condition you want, for a defensible total cost... transport might be worth considering.

$.02
Bruce

wjgray3

Transporting the boat

Thanks for the thoughts.
I can sail the boat from wherever it is to near Houston, assuming it is in sailing condition. I have plenty of blue water miles under my keel.
I would then truck it from Houston to a lake near Dallas, where I intend to sail it until I'm ready to go back to salt water. Less transport cost that way.

I was really looking for hints on what to look for in the listings. Or what questions to ask before I make a trip to see one. Or if anybody already knew what vessels to avoid from the available listings. Or if anybody is looking to sell their 32-200 or 32-3 and didn't know it before I made this query.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi, new member here. I've seen several offerings on these subject models on Yachtworld or Sailboatlistings, but short of visiting the yachts themselves, the pictures and writeups don't tell the whole story. I could visit them, but it is difficult to decide which one(s) to go see. I live near Dallas, and these offerings are all over the country (and some out of the country). I've seen models listed from ~20k to ~60K. Is it possible that some of the listings have a history which members of this forum could provide illumination on? I'd like to limit my travels to only those offerings that hold reasonable promise.
I'm not afraid of a little work, as I'm a retired engineer, woodworker, and metal shop owner. But I'd prefer to buy something that is sailable right away, and requires only those things I'd prefer to upgrade later.

For example, there are three 32-200s that have a shoal draft currently on the market. One in San Francisco, one in Alameda, CA and one in Pensacola, FL. Priced from 37.5k to 39.9k.
There are two 32-3s with a shoal draft keel. One in Venice, FL, and one in West Haverstraw, NY. Priced from 19.9k to 33k.

I've written the brokers, but they haven't responded. I also suspect that the responses will be less than totally useful.

Anybody have a history report or recommendation on any of these models?
Thanks.

First of all WELCOME!...This is a GREAT site for information on Ericsons and given with a broad base of ownership and experiences.

While I'm not overly familiar with the E 32-200's or 3's, I've owned my E32-II since new in '73. I've found her to be a GREAT boat over the years. I originally was looking for a 27 but saw the 32 and it was an instant love affair for me! It proved a perfect size for my needs as we grew into it with a son down the road. We've sailed/cruised the Bahamas extensively and coasts of Florida from Ft. Lauderdale to Tarpon Springs - including the Dry Tortugas. We sailed comfortably and the boat handled ALL the conditions we encountered without incident.

She does sail a slight bit on the tender side, but reduced sail and using just a headsail balances her well when the weather kicks up. Overall - I thought about a bigger boat years later but couldn't justify the costs VS what I already had.

Things to be aware of:
The 32-II had an issue with the deck stepped mast not being properly supported to the keel on earlier models (not sure about the 200's or 3's). You WILL want to look closely at deck/topside areas around the chain plates and main salon hatches for moisture. (A moisture meter is a HUGE tool to have - well worthwhile OR a GOOD marine survey!)

ALSO...The rudder post extension for the emergency tiller on the cockpit floor needs to be inspected. The collar doesn't keep water from dropping inside and soaking the wood below the fiberglass cockpit sole and it is subject to rot. Look at the underside to insure it is solid as otherwise it can loosen and place added strain on the lower through hull attachment point for the rudder. (We've made some extensive repairs on our boat and I'll be posting said repair later that includes a 1/2" aluminum plate replacing the old wood.)

Overall...the 32 is an excellent choice, as is the 35 and there are a number of them around to be had. I primarily cruised when living in Florida but up here now in Lake Erie - my son got into racing and she's proved to be an excellent competitor garnering us many many flags, boat of the year awards and even a Trans Erie Race Overall win with a class record that stood for 10 years!

Take your time and be patient, hopefully then - as the Indiana Jones movie once stated, "You have chosen WISELY" will occur!

Good Luck and Fair Winds!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
WjGray,

Most of the 80s boats are sound, the difference between the specimens is often cosmetic (expensive cosmetic, such as hatches, upholstery, leaking portlights, sails).

If a boat has a legit broker, a phone call should get you a fairly candid assessment of overall condition of the boat in question. Just ask to talk to a sales person who has shown it.

steven

Sustaining Member
sometimes there is a prior survey. Or professional report on some system, for example standing rigging or power.
Worth asking the broker if one exists and if you can see it.

--Steve

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I don't know of any built-in weaknesses with the late model 32s.

The Universal M25 diesel has a few standard issues though: the original alternator bracket can crack the gearcase and render the engine useless. I still see pictures of boats where the old bracket is still in use. Also, the original 2 inch heat exchanger can be inadequate, especially in warm southern waters. Later models use a 3 inch heat exchanger.