• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Exterior Teak Renewal

JSM

Member III
How much prep work was required before application of the teak oil? It didn’t require bleaching, did it? What condition was the teak in before hand?

Teak was grey and weathered. Sanded it down to bare wood with some 220 grit and applied a liberal coat of the Watco Oil and let it soak in without wiping off the excess. Did a second coat a few days later. Has held up very well over the (Chicago) summer.

garryh

Member III
Kerry those rails look good... I am going to look into the PlasTeak rails for sure. Is your sliding hatch made out of PlasTeak as well...? am also going to consider that, since mine is toast.
The vexing problem I have always had with handrails is that no matter how well you maintain the finished surface, there is always water ingress at the base which creeps up and greys and ruins the finish and you have to strip and start all over again. I was going to do varnish over epoxy but yours are looking very good!