Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior Teak Renewal

Principal Partner Keith Parcells's Avatar

Exterior Teak Renewal

Itís about time to refinish my cabin top teak hand rails. Has anyone tried the All Guard Products, Teak Guard? Here is the link:

https://www.allguardproducts.com/

Any reviews of this product? I used Cetol in the past but I am ready for something else.
    Keith Parcells
    1983 E-33
    Hull #24
    Rocinante

Blog Entries

Question

I have been using Cetol on hand rails and it does not last over a year and I really do not like the appearance. So I hope that someone else has experience with this product.
    Either that.... or (blasphemy alert) I am going to spec out some SS replacement hand rails.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Contributing Partner woolamaloo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't review either of those products, but I'll endorse my own. I use simple oxalic acid with a stainless steel scrubber to brighten the wood. For years, I'd just use Star Brite Teak Oil but it would only look good 3-4 weeks. Now, I use Total Boat Danish Teak Sealer. It goes on just as easy as the oil but it has a little pigment in it and lasts most of the season. It is very thin and a quart is going to outlive me. It keeps the teak looking really nice and fresh without all the maintenance hassles of varnish. And, if I ever changed my mind, I could switch back to oil (but I won't).
    Jim
    Woolamaloo
    Cleveland, Ohio
    1985 E30+ #685/Universal M18

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm Geoff W.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I used Te-Ka 2-part cleaner, which brightened the teak considerably from its dead grey, but is very toxic stuff and Te-Ka Part 1 leaves marks on the gelcoat if you don't get it off in time. I think it was a good "shock treatment" for old, uncleaned teak, but now that I've Te-Ka'd once I will probably try a less intense one-part cleaner next time. I went over it with Daly's Seafin teak oil afterwards, and 3 months or so later it's basically bleached off from the sun. Needs another go, but looked really nice when fresh.

That said, I tried Star-Brite Tropical Teak Sealer on my cockpit compartment teak ring, and I hated the color - it's sort of matte and orange, doesn't look at all like the original wood. Might suck it up and try varnishing next March, I dunno.
    Last edited by Geoff W.; 09-19-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    s/v "Delightful"
    1987 E32-3
    Hull #712

Blog Entries
    I went back to varnish for the handrails.

With a good base (probably seven coats), I have redone the varnish twice in three years. Light sanding, two coats. Takes an hour or two. Most of that is masking off the rails from the deck. I don't use UV covers, and we are a 12-month big-sun zone. Standard Schooner by Interlux.

The new fast-dry varnishes make building up the base convenient if starting from scratch.

I got tired of oiled teak, which goes bad fast here. Surprised at the success of the varnish.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Contributing Member III
    Blog Entries
    I took mine off last winter and scrubbed them with steel wool under running water. This is how they turned out...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04098A3E-141C-4411-84F1-0531609070EC.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	27792

I ended up varnishing them and applying at least 15 coats over the span of a month and a half.

Name:	10884BC3-6DF2-40A5-B5AD-C0D71EC3C41C.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	27793

In retrospect, I wish I would have left them natural. It's easier, more durable and I like the feel of bare teak over varnished teak, but that's just my taste.

Name:	D9BE6F24-CB6C-4BE5-82E3-220F6B44D507.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	27794

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've had it with exterior teak! Low maintenance synthetic materials for me, going forward. However, I did discover last fall, while pressure-washing the deck, that the pressure washer strips that old gray stuff from teak in just a few seconds, leaving that "fresh wood" look with a fraction of the effort of other methods. I can't say whether this causes more or less erosion than abrasives do.
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Blog Entries
    I'm probably the outlier on this (as with most things).... I use oil and (so far) am fairly happy with it.

Couple of years ago I sanded, bleached and oiled. Since then, all I've done is refresh the oil when I start seeing "dry spots"... takes 15 mins to go around the whole boat with a dampened throwaway brush (longer if I'm going to do the whole handrail and want to mask off the surrounding area), and it looks great. Nowhere near the depth and luster of a good varnish job, but nowhere near the time and patience required, either.

I keep it all (handrails, taffrail, companionway trim) covered when at the dock, which seems to extend the amount of time between touch-ups. I did a light touch-up in May, spiffed it up again in July before the rendezvous, and may do another touch-up in October if I get some decent weather before starting to put things away for the winter.

$.02
    Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    I'm also an outlier, as I've been varnishing my handrails and companionway doors for the past 13 years, and will continue to do so. I do a light sand with 220 grit sandpaper twice per year, takes about 15 minutes. Then I add a coat of Varnish, another 20 minutes, and it always looks great. I have a steady hand, even at my age, so I don't use masking tape.
    Out boat is on Vancouver Island, so I might feel different if I was further south in hot sun and more UV.
    My neighbour at the marina used a mix of linseed and pigment, and swears by it, but it turns dark, almost mouldy within a couple of months - - not my idea of a good solution.
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Langer; 09-19-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Contributing Partner
    I recently re-did my exterior teak (no pictures right now) and after my slip neighbour saw me sanding away all the old teak he handed me a carbide scraper. I gave it a try and was amazed how quickly it removed the old varnish without damaging the underlaying wood. A quick sand later and I was slapping on 5 coats of Schooner varnish and it looked like new again. Very happy. I'm planning to do a maintenance coat every spring.

Previously I used 3 coats of Epifanes and it failed after 2 years, which is why I removed all the old varnish.

If you don't want glossy varnish, my slip neighbour swears by Tonkinois. His wooden boat always looks great.
    Last edited by bolbmw; 09-19-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    1981 Ericson 30+, rocking the Juan de Fuca

Blog Entries
    Scraper, yes.

Heat gun with scraper or putty knife, yes.

For a large varnished surface like companionway stairs, a heat gun is the only rational way and is just about effortless.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Principal Partner Keith Parcells's Avatar

Teak Time

Thank you all for the great input!

Iím pondering 🤔 what approach to take now. There doesnít seem to be any perfect solution, but two or three good ones.
    Keith Parcells
    1983 E-33
    Hull #24
    Rocinante

Contributing Partner

Watco Teak Oil

Over the years I have used everything and have come full circle back to teak oil. This year I stumbled across Watco Teak Oil at Home Depot for $11.00 a quart. Apply a liberal coat and just leave it without wiping off the excess it leaves a nice varnish like appearance'
    The pics below are of two coats done about eight weeks ago.

Name:	20190919_174317.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	27795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190919_174238.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	27796
    1987 34-2
    Tortuga
    Universal M25XP

Contributing Member II

Exterior Teak Renewal

Four years ago, took off the wood handrails because one of the yard guys cracked one of them by standing on it. Yes, a big yard guy! Went with Plasteak up the road from me in Copley, Ohio. Here is there website. https://www.plasteak.com/ Perfect replication of the handrails, even with the proper bend in the rail. Perfect for me. Ken

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Haneline View Post
    Four years ago, took off the wood handrails because one of the yard guys cracked one of them by standing on it. Yes, a big yard guy! Went with Plasteak up the road from me in Copley, Ohio. Here is there website. https://www.plasteak.com/ Perfect replication of the handrails, even with the proper bend in the rail. Perfect for me. Ken
    Likewise...went with their hand rails and bought planks from them for other projects. No regrets and after 3 years, the hand rails are holding up fine with NO varnish or oiling needed!