• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

WANTED: Bimini and cockpit cushions '78 E27

chrisoelder

Member II
Hey guys!

I am looking for a Bimini/dodger and some cushions for my cockpit. If it can fit a 1978 E27 that would be great. I am located near Marina Del Rey, LA, CA

Im tired of sitting in the sun all day.

Thanks!

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hey guys!

I am looking for a Bimini/dodger and some cushions for my cockpit. If it can fit a 1978 E27 that would be great. I am located near Marina Del Rey, LA, CA

Im tired of sitting in the sun all day.

Thanks!
Have a look at the latest post on You Tube channel, Life in a Nutshell (passage to Tonga).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q86hI-RG0c
They had a simple bimini made from PVP pipes and fittings, and some sort of cheap cloth they sewed to cover it.
It was already a bit torn before that passage, but lasted the whole 11-day passage in a constant 20-30kt breeze. It only gave up the ghost when they got to port and were hit by 50-kt squalls the day they arrived.

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
you can buy an off the shelf one and easily mount it yourself. my e25 came this way.

they run a couple hundred on defender marine and even cheaper on amazon but of questionable quality.

i set mine up the other day and noticed a few things:

interferes with lifelines
will prob interfere with headsail sheet
you can't remove it and stow it below
folding it forward it will sit across the companionway
folding it backward it will sit across the tiller.

it is nice in inside the cockpit though

i believe i saw some seat cushions @ kelly marine a couple weeks ago. ask for Steve.

Last edited:

chrisoelder

Member II
Sounds like they are more trouble than they are worth. I am thinking i might need to get clever and make something myself... similar to the vloggers above!

Pamaya

Member I
E27 Bimini dimensions

Hello,

I had taken some measurements for a fellow E27 owner and thought I would pass along these, from our 1978 27 in case there are helpful as you build one out.

So, here is some corresponding information describing how the Bimini is configured on the boat. First, it is a three bow bimini that is roughly 6 ft wide at the outside of the bow curvature and is approx 46 inches long, The forward bow is connected ahead of the backstay, so the canvas has a zipper from the middle bow forward to the front edge, and the overall bimini sits about 6 inches or so behind the boom such that it clears the topping lift by about 10 inches and doesn't interfere with the rigging while sailing, However, the only downside of ours is that there is not a sight window in the canvas which makes it challenging to see the masthead from the wheel. We have a working wind indicator (I say that because it is the first one that actually works that we have owned) and that should be a reasonable substitution, but I really like being able to see the windex, so, we are probably going to have a window cut into it when I order a replacement storage boot since that canvas has aged off at this point.

I cam post a crude sketch and some photos which attempt to capture some of the key measurements if you would find that useful. Mostly, these are the length of the longest bow tube which is approx 41 inches from its attachment point on the stanchion shown in the photos attached. It is attached on a bracket turned about 90 degrees and placed about 5 inches below the pulpit rail. It is interesting that the placement of the center bow along the rear bow and length of the forward bow (see below) are set where the bimini has the slight downward curvature in out application. I am sure that you could play with these, but the shape seems almost intentional (cosmetically?) when you look at the boat from abeam.I

The attachment points for the securing straps. They fit neatly onto surfaces for mounting almost as if the curvature of the deck and boat were intended for them.

I really like the quality of the installation and the way the whole thing is fitted, so hopefully this will inspire some ideas on your end.

JPS27

Member III
I have an E27 with a bimini. And I have love-hate relationship with it. It came with the boat and I have looked into modifying it, but I always have something more important to fix or improve. I love it more than i hate it. The summer heat in the mid Atlantic region can be stifling, and it can wipe me out even with the bimini. Mine covers the cockpit area but not the helm behind the wheel. But I just use the autopilot and sit where at least my head is out of the sun when I need a break. I say go for it.

Issues with it the frustrate me have been mentioned. Another thing, I have to squeeze through to go forward, but have gotten those ballet moves down to an art. But again, I always put it on for July-mid Sept, at least. I can pm pics if you're interested.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Allow me to extol the merits of a $15 umbrella: Shade only when when you need it.

cockpit umbrella.jpg

Duct-taped to the binnacle guard for test purposes, it proves its worth or not.

However, I find this style suits best --an $80 market umbrella with vents. It pins to the drink holder and sets in a PVC cap installed on the cockpit sole.

Tack, jibe, all possible. To see the mainsail, poke head to one side. Install or remove in 2 minutes.

ERicson 38 umbrella.jpg

1-DSC_0038.jpg

Video: https://youtu.be/gO0FrqNQe8s

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Allow me to extol the merits of a $15 umbrella: Shade only when when you need it.

....and where you need it.

I invested in a couple of 2"-wide velcro straps. With a few completely-non-aerobic-level bursts of activity, I can position the umbrella over the helm (velcro'd to the binnacle guard), over a comfy corner of the cockpit for reading (velcro'd to a stanchion) or pretty much wherever else I want. Plus can tilt it for enhancing shade as the sun sets. And it's still high-enough and open-enough that I don't feel like I'm sitting indoors.

People sometimes walk past on the dock with a "an umbrella? really?!?" look on their faces. But when they've stopped to look, they get it. It's simple, and it works.

I'm a fan.

Bruce