• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 Rudder Gudgeon Plastic Bushing Replacement

Mblace

Member II
I finally have my new (for me) 1973 E25. For safety I removed the rudder for transport on the trailer (lifting line was pretty weathered) and noticed the plastic bushings in the rudder rod gudgeons (1/2"SS rod) were cracked and brittle. Anyone know of a source of new bushings? As a last resort I can get oillite bronze hat bushings but will have to machine them to fit then friction fit in place.

gstepler

Member I
E25 Rudder Gudgeon Bushing

Congrats on the new addition! I always remove the rudder when I tow mine; even over the short distances I haul I'd rather have it laying flat in the bed of the truck then bouncing around point-loaded on the gudgeons on the transom (or relying on the small block/lifting line/cleat). As for bushings, I don't have any and don't think there is enough room on mine (pretty sure my rod is larger than 1/2" and there is virtually no play).

Greg
1978 E25 #377

mkg99

I finally have my new (for me) 1973 E25. For safety I removed the rudder for transport on the trailer (lifting line was pretty weathered) and noticed the plastic bushings in the rudder rod gudgeons (1/2"SS rod) were cracked and brittle. Anyone know of a source of new bushings? As a last resort I can get oillite bronze hat bushings but will have to machine them to fit then friction fit in place.
Hi...Did you ever figure out what to do? I have an E25 with exactly the same issue although mine did not have plastic bushings when I bought it so the 1/2" rod bounces around in the gudgeons. One suggestion I got was to put in plastic pieces that will reduce an oarlock to 1/2 inch. I have not tried that yet.

Thanks

Mike

Mblace

Member II
I found bronze oilite hat bushings at Aircraft Spruce. Had to grind them a bit to fit, then pressed in for a good friction fit in the gudgeons. Way better than plastic. Their website lists several sizes - best to measure and get slightly larger, then grind to fit. I also upsized the gudgeon attach hardware, all stainless.

Mblace

Member II
I source all my aircraft maintenance and restoration supplies from them. Convenient that they are 30 minutes from me. And you guys thought boats were expensive...