• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

temporary propulsion for '87 34

hdlEric

Member III
Well, I had a daaaaa moment that has proved costly and stupid:esad::esad::esad::esad:. My only excuse is that I was single handing it.
Anyway, I got a bowline wrapped around my prop; resulting in no forward gear; just reverse:mad::mad::mad::mad:.
So, I have what probably is a stupid question to boot, but can I use my Johnson 6hp Sailmaster for power until the end of the season? I would not plan on taking it out in heavy air/seas; I sail on Lake Erie.
Also, I was thinking mounting it that low would make transferring it to the dingy easier.
Any opinions would be appreciated, but try not to be to hard on me:dunce::dunce:

Last edited:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Sure it will move you in a dead calm but you'll probably have the power to weight ratio of an iceberg.

Do you have an outboard mount already installed there? If not, procuring and installing the right one will probably be a good part of the work and money you could have put toward the gearbox.

Last edited:

hdlEric

Member III
temporary propulsion of '87 34

Thanks to all who have replied to my problem!!! I really appreciate your input!!!
I do realize the drawbacks of an outboard hanging off the stern, and would never do so willingly!!! I just wanted to get a few more sails in before hauling her for the winter.
Markvone, thanks for the link!!! It was very informative. There was one person that had a removable motor mount; sure wish I could get a hold of one of those, but I still like the idea of mounting the outboard near the base of the stern, so I can just move it over to the dingie. Will putting it there decrease the value of the boat????
Thanks again everybody!!!!! Christian, I enjoy your youtube site.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmmmmm.......

Strictly as a temporary "get you going again" idea I have seen (somewhere on the vastness of the WWW) a picture of a clever wood/epoxy motor mount 'box' that clipped onto the lower rungs of the lowered ss boarding ladder on a sailboat. This was to allow the boat to slowly and carefully - assuming travel on smooth water - return from the wilderness using the 3 hp dinghy motor.

Like another suggestion, I actually know a guy moved his Willard 9 Ton cutter several hundred miles - slowly, very slowly - south from the Inside Passage wilderness to Puget Sound using a 2.5 hp engine on his hard dinghy, lashed to the stern quarter. His diesel had broken the the torque plate and could not power the boat until pulled out and repaired. He was single handing, and it was quite a feat - he is kind of a McGuyver sort of person anyway.
:nerd:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Once upon a time I had one of those "tempory" brackets fall apart and dump the outboard in the salt chuck. It had a safety line but the "chop line" of the prop on the boat's bottom was costly to fix. The diver still sounds good.

Emerald

Another vote for paying a diver to go cut it free. I think messing around with an 8hp outboard as you describe is a setup for agony. When it's flat and calm, you'll probably be OK, but I think you'll find you're so underpowered, you are in bad shape for any sort of wind or sea state, and remember, that little engine is going to pull up out of the water if you get into any sort of wave action.