• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson logo for new sail

supersailor

Contributing Partner
``It is not usual to put a logo on the 135. The sailmaker should be able to make one to your specifications without a problem.

JSM

Member III
Purchased a new 135 from Mack Sails in FL. three years ago. Came with logo on it.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Do people usually put brand logos on a headsail? I usually only see it on top of the main.

L

Leslie Newman

Goes on the main and most sail lofts can generate all the manufacturers logos. When they did my CAL mainsail they put on the logo.
And they told me they could make one for my stack pack if I wanted.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Yes, it will go on the main.

First time purchase price of main and 135% Genoa.
What would you purchase for east coast cruising?

North Sails has three offerings
1.Mainsail 3Di NORDAC 330 16,800 DpiP: 11.734m, E: 3.910m, Area: 28.68m²
Sub-Total: $4,008.24

135% 3Di NORDAC 330 10,850 Dpi
I: 11.125m
J: 3.718m
Area: 30.60m²
LP: 135%
Sub-Total: $2,503.44

Total: ~$6,510

2. Mainsail NPC Radian NorDac NDR 7.5P: 11.734m
E: 3.910m
Area: 28.68m²
Sub-Total: $3,143.83

135% Genoa NPC Radian NorDac NDR 5.2
Sub-Total: $2,298.24

Total: ~$5,450

3.Mainsail NPC Cross-Cut NorDac ND78HAP: 11.734m
E: 3.910m
Area: 28.68m²
Sub-Total: $2,196.49

135% Genoa NPC Cross-Cut NorDac ND51LA
Sub-Total: $1,674.09

Total: ~$3,700

MJS

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
North will definitely have an Ericson logo in their library for you, otherwise hopefully someone here has it saved.. I couldn't find in the downloads section. All the old links appear busted.

As far as what sails to choose, a recent thread on the topic is here: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-sails-and-compare-the-5-Annapolis-sail-lofts

I recently got a laminate headsail made, and like it very much. Looking at North's prices for you, is there a $3k difference for a cruiser in going from a dacron headsail to a laminate one? Probably not. And consider the 6-8 years of life you'll get from the laminate to the 10-15 years from the (albeit bagged out after a decade) dacron one.

L

Leslie Newman

First, I would go to Ullman sails. They have a loft in Annapolis.

https://annapolis.ullmansails.com/

They made a main for my CAL 33 that was excellent. And they organize a regatta fundraiser for Hospice that is excellent. Great people.

You don't need super heavy sails if you aren't planning to go out in the ocean on long trips. Plus if you race any you might want to consider sail selection based on that.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Leslie,

I have two quotes from Ullman but they are for 110 and 120% Genoas. I have reached out to request quotes for 135% Genoas and main:

Navigator Series - INSHORE AND COASTAL CRUISING
Endurance Series - BLUEWATER AND PASSAGE

I will post quotes when I get them.

MJS

L

Leslie Newman

Hi Leslie,

I have two quotes from Ullman but they are for 110 and 120% Genoas. I have reached out to request quotes for 135% Genoas and main:

Navigator Series - INSHORE AND COASTAL CRUISING
Endurance Series - BLUEWATER AND PASSAGE

I will post quotes when I get them.

MJS

Right, I found my old invoice. It was a Dacron Navigator Series mainsail that I purchased from Ullman. Couldn't remember the model. It was a very nice sail. Invoice description- "Dacron Navigator Mainsail with two rows of reefs and a full batten upgrade for a Cal 33-2".

This was back in 2014. Seemed rather heavy duty and made me wonder just how stiff a Endurance Series would have been. Very nice full battens, two reefs. My boat was faster with the new sail, as the main that came on the boat was really, really old and tired. The main that came with the boat actually ripped all the way across when we had an unexpected jibe coming out of Cape Charles. I stood on the cabin and stitched it up as we sailed back from Cape Charles using the head sail until we could put the main back up. So a visit with Ullman was a must at that point.

My invoice shows $2580.00 with tax and 5% discount for their "Fall Sail" event. And again was for a CAL 33-2 back in 2014 with full battens and two reefs. When you figure how many years you get from a sail the cost doesn't really seem that bad.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
First, I would go to Ullman sails. They have a loft in Annapolis.

https://annapolis.ullmansails.com/

They made a main for my CAL 33 that was excellent. And they organize a regatta fundraiser for Hospice that is excellent. Great people.

You don't need super heavy sails if you aren't planning to go out in the ocean on long trips. Plus if you race any you might want to consider sail selection based on that.

+1 for Ullman although when you get down to it, the quality of the individuals who work in that particular loft is more important than the brand of sails they are selling.