• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 in-mast halyards and asymmetric spinnaker

Mblace

Member II
I'm picking up my (new to me) E25 next weekend and plan to evaluate it and do needed updates this winter. The boat is in very nice overall condition and has been well cared for. Several things I plan to do (by necessity or by choice) include fabricating and installing a mast hinge so I can easily step the mast for trailering and running the halyards inside the mast. I have already seen a number of well thought out mods folks have done to accomplish these changes. I also picked up a nearly new appropriately sized asymmetric spinnaker. From what I can see, running the halyards inside the mast means I'll have 2 sheaves on the front and back of the masthead - so will need to install 4 halyard exit grommets and cleats. The good thing is that this will allow me to have a halyard for the spinnaker. I like the idea of an asymmetric because it doesn't need the usual pole and installed hardware of a traditional spin, and simplifies rigging, but at the same time introduces the challenge of setting and dousing and gybing. A couple folks told me to get a furling sleeve - it did not come with one. Looks like a neat device (never used one). Anybody out there have any experience with an asymmetric that could guide me in the right direction re. the furler? I'm guessing the relatively small size of the sail will make it easier to handle overall.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Measure the "I" distance and confirm which rig you have. Regular or Tall. From the data I find on-line there is a 2.5 foot difference. The height of the mast (and fore triangle) will determine the measurement of your sail.
As for a "snuffer" we have one for our old tri-radial and it is great for general sailing. Ours was built by ATN, but there are competitors, and some handy folks even sew their own.

Internal-izing a halyard was a fiddly project on my prior 26 footer. There is the attachment point at the top, often called the 'chicken head' and then you need to route the halyard down to a cleat somewhere near the gooseneck area. I spend some time putting in an entrance just below the top swivel block, and an exit near the bottom. Drill, saber saw, and a small round file and time. Mild cursing will be involved. You need a fitting to cover the outline of the holes and also to prevent chafe. There is a practical reason why so many sailors stick to external halyards, BTW. :rolleyes:

Hopefully some owners of sister ships can weigh in.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Exit plates

I'm picking up my (new to me) E25 next weekend and plan to evaluate it and do needed updates this winter. The boat is in very nice overall condition and has been well cared for. Several things I plan to do (by necessity or by choice) include fabricating and installing a hast hinge so I can easily step the mast for trailering and running the halyards inside the mast. I have already seen a number of well thought out mods folks have done to accomplish these changes. I also picked up a nearly new appropriately sized asymmetric spinnaker. From what I can see, running the halyards inside the mast means I'll have 2 sheaves on the front and back of the masthead - so will need to install 4 halyard exit grommets and cleats. The good thing is that this will allow me to have a halyard for the spinnaker. I like the idea of an asymmetric because it doesn't need the usual pole and installed hardware of a traditional spin, and simplifies rigging, but at the same time introduces the challenge of setting and dousing and gybing. A couple folks told me to get a furling sleeve - it did not come with one. Looks like a neat device (never used one). Anybody out there have any experience with an asymmetric that could guide me in the right direction re. the furler? I'm guessing the relatively small size of the sail will make it easier to handle overall.

I've got three 1 3/8" x 3 3/4" (Kenyon) and two 1 1/4" x 3 1/4" (Schaefer) halyard exit plates suitable for up to 1/2" line available if you're interested.

Brad Johnson

Member III
I have a 1988 E 26 which I have a sprit and A sail that I deploy from forward hatch, I connect all the lines including Halyard while racing with everything usually set up on port side. and douse on port side down the hatch ready to deploy on the next downwind leg , there is no need for a separate furler or a sock on a boat that size unless you are sailing solo. The sprit is 20%b of J