• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ronstan Traveler Control Ends E381

Baslin

Member III
Hi all,

Does anyone have a specific part number or specific replacement for the Ronstan control ends?

The number stamped on the control ends are RF853 and RF854.....I don’t believe these are still available

I know Christian Williams did an upgrade so I’m hoping you will chime in.

Thanks

F9DF49BE-9808-455B-9A00-C809125F5462.jpg

BE0DD3E1-B5CD-45F8-AC85-5BABEA602B59.jpg

Baslin

Member III
Christian,

did you you keep the old Ronstan control end frames and just replace the double blocks or did you get whole replacements? I looked and your blog and all I need is the picture below.

B2425B11-2827-47CF-A152-C7678A276E79.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Six weeks later I had all the parts in hand, the newly black track installed, and a revelation. The brand-new $300 Ronstan traveler car was essentially the same as their 1984 model. The two new Ronstan double blocks that attach to it, for $150 each, worked no better than the blocks they were intended to replace. I cleaned and polished the old ones and took the new ones back to West Marine. When they take a charge off a credit card it feels like your ship came in.

Installation of the new gear was easy. The modern Ronstan control ends are less clunky, and install permanently at the track ends rather than being adjustable on it. All that remained was to fit new line. The Ericson recommendation for control lines always seemed too thick. So after careful measuring the old ones I bought 32 feet of 5/16ths from West Marine, cut it in half, rigged everything and was delighted to find the upgraded setup quite smooth, more attractive to look at all day and much easier to use.

Baslin

Member III
I called Ronstan this morning and they dont sell the control ends anymore. They wanted me to buy 3 different parts to make 1 new assembly. Here is what they are suggesting.

Ser 32 I Beam 4 to 1 (3).jpg

Ser 32 Control End (3) 2 (1).jpg

RC63285.jpg

RC00414_new.jpg

RC00420.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
From the blog entry:

We no longer offer the control ends that slide on the track. The closest thing you will get is an RC63285 + RC00414 Sheave addition kit with an RC00423 cleat addition kit. This is mounted to the end of the track via a large countersunk bolt under the sheave not visible in the picture. The sheave addition kit is mounted on the side of the control end using the supplied fasteners.

Last edited:

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Will these go on a Schaefer traveler / traveler track? I've looked at mine and all the hardware appears to be Schaefer brand, which I don't think I've seen a lot of reference to on EYO.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Schaefer will know. Just recall that if you have an Ericson aluminum channel under the traveler track, that's also a factor.

Many current traveler cars and accessories won't work in the channel because the newer designs are too wide.