• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder Damage

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
When I was being towed to a local yard, there was a lot of play in the tiller. After haulout, I could move the rudder slightly without the shaft turning. Anybody any idea how the rudder was built, and what needs to be done?

Gareth

Freyja E35 #241 1972

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
The ruder post extends part way down into the rudder. In some cases not far enough according to Mr. King. Inside the rudder there are flat stainless strips welded to the post then foam around that then glass. My guess is all your welds have failed. The rudder is trash. I replaced my rudder with a cal 40 rudder build by Foss Foam in southern Ca. It cost around 1400.00. I had Mr. King look at the plan for the cal 40 rudder and he said this was a better choice than the original or the E-38 rudder. The cal 40 rudder is not the original cal rudder it is a newish design by the late Carl Schumaker (sp). It greatly imprved handling.

Phil

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I forgot to mention that this is the boat that went through a cat 3 hurricane, so there is plenty of potential for things to be broken.
Have you got a contact for Foss Foam?
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Foss Foam 949-646-0244
849 West 18th Street
unit C
Costa Mesa Ca 92627

contact was Don

price two years ago was $1097.16 including trucking to northern Ca.

Phil

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Gareth, If you are interested I have the rudder I took off my E-35 Mk 2
1971 # 184 It was a replacment made some time around 1986. Its in good condition. I will sell it for $400.00 plus shipping.

Phil

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I will think about that one - I had the boat shipped two days ago, and have a lot going on right now.
I really appreciate your assistance.
Gareth