• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E-25 owner

Mblace

Member II
Hey all, I am in the process of purchasing a '73 E25, on trailer, from a long-time owner in Ohio. The boat is very solid and in nice condition - obviously well-loved and cared for, stored indoors 9 months a year. Most of the boats I looked at near my home in GA were trash - either poorly maintained or tired looking after years of sitting outside and baking in the sun. Long-term plan is to do some work on it over the winter, particularly focusing on trailering and ease of mast stepping, as I am going to sail in west GA, western MD and the Chesapeake, and coastal Maine (I bought it to teach my grandkids to sail). Looked at other trailerable boats like the CAT 25/250 and Hunter 26/260 - have to admit they're shiny and roomy - but as a traditionalist I had a hard time accepting a water ballast hull would be any fun to sail hard, particularly with the compromised rigging. Seems the Ericson is a much better platform for coastal Maine - despite the weight penalty when towing. I'll be back from time to time with updates and likely be seeking advice on some design ideas on mast hinge, etc. I really appreciate the wealth and detail of information available on this forum and from Roscoe with his E25 Oystercatcher. Nice to be part of a passionate community. Cheers, Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the EY site!
The boats you passed on may have seemed more roomy in some respects, but are not as strong. Everything is a tradeoff, as the saying goes.
And then, any boat from any builder in the 70's that was designed to be regularly trailerable (without a permit) had to conform to an 8' beam maximum. Currently, this limit is 8' 6" , and AFIK is a nation wide highway standard.

The E-25 was next-to-the-smallest boat from a builder of high end yachts. If/when you go aboard a larger Ericson of the era you will see the same quality of finish and woodwork. On deck, the rigging is also stronger than the cheaper boats.

Search the site for references to your model and use Google for those searches.
There are some great examples of restoration and sailing.