• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What can I do with THAT??

Sailingfun

Member III
Dear forum
Suggestion, suggestions! I want to change that porthole but it's not plain.
Any suggestion?? I would love change for something I can open
Thanks in advance
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-18 at 7.00.22 PM.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks like a prior owner put in a fixed port light there to let in some more light.
If you want an opening port, you would have to somehow find a way to fit one on a curved surface, and it's difficult to do that.

Maybe someone can imagine a solution. (?)

Do you sail out of the Alameda estuary? We bought our used boat in Ballena Bay, in the 90's, and trucked it home to PDX. What a wonderful sailing area!!

Sailingfun

Member III
Looks like a prior owner put in a fixed port light there to let in some more light.
If you want an opening port, you would have to somehow find a way to fit one on a curved surface, and it's difficult to do that.

Maybe someone can imagine a solution. (?)

Do you sail out of the Alameda estuary? We bought our used boat in Ballena Bay, in the 90's, and trucked it home to PDX. What a wonderful sailing area!!

Yes. my base port is Oakland. This is an Ericsson 27 I bough for teach my son how's sail.

markvone

Sustaining Member
What are the dimensions? Expanding the cutout (slightly) to a standard opening port would be the typical upgrade EXCEPT as Loren has stated, there are no opening ports that can handle a curved surface. You could easily replace the acrylic with a new piece to eliminate crazing and scratches. When you did this you might figure out a way to mount the new piece so it is easily removable (vs sealed and screwed). However, it will need good seals to be leakproof. Doesn't the opening hatch just aft of this location provide plenty of air flow?

Mark