• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transpac Rudder Issues

Kevin A Wright

Member III
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page on that link there is a nice shot of what looks like an E30 Zenergy.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Yeah.

I raced on that boat (OEX) years ago when it was "Silver Bullet". Those things are very well built, and Sangmeister kept her in an amazing state of prep. Better than new, in every way you can imagine.

What I've heard is that the lower rudder bearing went and the rudder shaft "can-openered" the bottom of the boat. They tried managing the water ingress but did not succeed.

Rumor has it the damage was from an impact to the rudder, not just a simple failure, but I haven't heard that (yet) from anyone who would actually know.

Sad to think of that beautiful boat slipping beneath the waves.... but very glad everyone is okay.

Interestingly, many of those boats have watertight crash-bulkheads forward, but do NOT have watertight bulkheads aft. I wonder if that's going to change.

Bruce

Edited to add.... what I'm hearing (from a variety of sources) is that the biggest loads on the rudders are when close-reaching with the big "code zero" headsails. there's apparently a lot more side-load on the rudder than when the wind comes aft and the kite goes up.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Remember about a decade ago when a large Hanse sunk -- similar situation. (Or as similar as we can guess at when this recent boat is not available for inspection.)

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12/rudder-stock-failure-leading-to-yacht-sinking-1845.html

Found this link quickly, and there are others.

Kind of gets me to pondering whether some additional support should be added to the top of the rudder tube. :confused:
Idea being to be sure that the 'failure point' remains under the hull.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Break away

Perhaps, break-away rudder posts or rudders. Tough to engineer.

Attachments

• PICT0016 (640x480).jpg
    PICT0016 (640x480).jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
I am strongly in favor of stern hung rudders. One less (big) hole in the bottom of the boat.

I recently messed around with some engineering calculations for an alternative rudder design for my E35-2.
Under certain conditions the transient stresses on the rudder and bottom bushing are quite large.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As mentioned elsewhere, I've been thinking and worrying (mildly) about rudder-tube failure for some time, and would like to build-out a "crash bulkhead" just forward of the rudder post. At least to a point a few inches above the water line. The biggest problem with this in my boat is gaining access without ripping the whole boat apart. The next biggest problem is re-routing all the engine controls, blower ducts, bilge-pump hoses & etc. that pass through the big void down there.

Seems like it would have been relatively simple and obvious to do such a thing at the factory, during assembly.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don't forget, these Transpac guys are driving their boats to the limit and breaking lots of gear in the meantime.

Spade rudders look vulnerable, but if well designed and maintained have proven themselves as reliable as other parts of the boat.

Here's an outboard rudder that failed. We were doing 20 knots at the time, and eventually Dick Newick reduced the area of the rudders on his trimarans. The forces on rudders are directly proportional to the lust for victory, and do better with a prudent mariner than a trophy holder.

https://youtu.be/1h-7TxVlkzM?list=PLXJx_F6E8T8y8BVNBmmZ1c9udOwnNjx93&t=216

Oh, did I say it came off--again?

https://youtu.be/1h-7TxVlkzM?list=PLXJx_F6E8T8y8BVNBmmZ1c9udOwnNjx93&t=969

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
On the other hand, we hear of the occasional Good Old Cruising Boat, plodding along, that suddenly sustains rudder damage from unknown causes and sinks in minutes. Rare, maybe, but not unheard of. More rare, probably, than some vociferous advocates of the full-keel school might have us believe. I just find it weird that relatively simple precautions, used at the pointy end of the boat, are not used in the back.

Rather than extreme sailing forces, my imagination suggests something more like a whale that decides that the nice pointy thing sticking out there is the perfect thing to scratch his back...