• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Show me your Lazarette’s

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I don’t mean to go all Pinterest here, but I’m seeking inspiration for how to make better use of the spaces under the cockpit seats. As long as I have two kids, it’s going to be tough to sacrifice the quarter berth or the v-berth to storage so making the most of the airspace is going to be critical. How do you store your docklines, fenders, shore power, inflatable toys, etc? Seeking inspiration. This is the part where I’m supposed to say “asking for a friend”, but let’s just say that friend has a 1985 32-3.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As you know, the popular idea is to attach some form of hooks inside the lazarette so you can "dangle" stuff from them: dock lines, fenders, cords, and so on. It works. But we have to insert our personal selves into that lazarette to work on the engine, so soft attachments are called for.

My brightest idea ( I think) is a bag hung inside the aft lazarette to contain covers, life jackets, and such.

Anything stored in my cockpit spaces can be instantly removed to access the trans, quadrant, stuffing box. Nothing is left free to work its way down to the bilges back there, and occlude important systems.

1-Helm seat bag installed.jpg

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
As you know, the popular idea is to attach some form of hooks inside the lazarette so you can "dangle" stuff from them: dock lines, fenders, cords, and so on.

I have several such bungee-loop-and-hook hangers in my lazarette. I hang dock lines, a throw-line, and a spare bailout pump from them. But I always cringe at the idea of the dock lines swinging only inches away from the steering quadrant. Your hanging bag idea might remedy that.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We put our fenders under the salon table on the floor when underway, wedging them a bit so they don't slide around. When at anchor or dock they come on deck or are hung over the side, being careful they don't bang against the hull to interfere with sleep in the night.
Frank

67rway

Member II
Laz Hangers

I had bungee hangers in my last boat, but always found it to be a 3 handed operation while under way. Hold the laz door, hold the line, hold the bungee.

The mounting holes on these line up very close to the laz door hinge screws, so no new holes made.

All sheets/guys/fenders/docklines hang there.

Laz Hangers.JPG

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I had bungee hangers in my last boat, but always found it to be a 3 handed operation while under way. Hold the laz door, hold the line, hold the bungee. //
Here's a handy tip to keep laz lids open ... I think I got it from an episode in this vblog: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC7DRvfDAoFn5eMyfTnaA8w
... Glue (MarineTex, epoxy, etc) one small block of wood (~1" square) to the underside of each laz lid. Pre-drill a 3/16-1/4" hole through each block, and glue the blocks down on a non-drilled side. Then thread a length of 1/8" cord (non-stretch or bungee) through the hole and tie a stopper knot beside each hole. I tie the lines for the two aft lockers around the nearest bit of stern railing when the lid is raised. An upgrade may be to tie a small plastic hook to one end of each line and make a loop at the other for possible one-handed securing to the railing. My starboard locker lid has a loop of line that goes easily over the nearby cleat - don't have to tie that one.
Before gluing, I worked out the best place under each lid for the blocks based on proximity of their planned respective tie-off points, and masked off a 1" square area in those spots. I used paint stripper to remove the old paint, cleaned with water then acetone, and sanded lightly to make a good contact for the glue where the block would go.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Carrying 10 PFDs takes up space, mine hang like this.

laz pfds.jpglaz hook.jpg

The skinny bag next to them holds the one-piece acrylic hatch board.

The E381 has one large laz under the camel hump. Eye bolts at each corner hang the Sunbrella bag (its bottom panel is Phifertex mesh). All exterior canvas stores there, inc. sail cover.

I am still using cable ties to connect the four bag grommets to the four eye bolts, and snipping two when access is needed. They pull tight and have proved simpler than hardware.

1-Ericson 38 helm locker bag.JPG

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I will try to post a photo next time I’m aboard. Our port aft lazarette holds our Honda EU 2000 generator, Magma Grill (when not being used) a canvas bag with power cord and fuel line for the dinghy outboard, binnacle cover with sail cover inside, the inflatable floating bar and a noodle or two. The starboard aft is formed for a propane tank but we store dock lines there. The starboard lazarette holds a 4 man life raft, diving gear, the fridge compressor, battery charger, bucket, deck brush and hatch boards.

Last edited:

Ed Valente

Member II
I just added this last week. Made the brackets from surplus G10 from a previous project. The rod was from an old curtain from the house. After too many contorted attempts at retrieving fender lines etc.. I now merely clip them to the attached pins for easy retrieval. So far these have worked well.
Great discussion.

Attachments

• CE7CE6EA-2F6B-4447-AA83-5F4B9E03A3E1.jpg
    CE7CE6EA-2F6B-4447-AA83-5F4B9E03A3E1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 183

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Here's my solution. Lines can be individually retrieved by undoing the clove hitch, or they can all be freed at once by pulling out the dowel.

Attachments

• line keeper in lazarette.jpg
    line keeper in lazarette.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 149

JPS27

Member III
As someone always looking to improve my e27, I really appreciate this thread. When I bought the boat several years ago I completely cleaned out what was under my port lazarette. Being open all the way to the spinning prop shaft, it struck me as crazy that the PO had extra fenders with lines sitting down there (that should have been an indication of challenges that awaited me). Even in my newbiest of days loose lines next to a prop shaft seemed like a bad idea. Are other ericson models open to the prop shaft as well, are there designs that would minimize the possibility of anything falling down to near zero? Even hanging lines on hooks make me wary of something coming loose a long and rough passage. Seems like Christian's suggestion might hold the most promise. I had been comtemplating some sort of removal wall akin to my companionway boards. So far, I have opted to leave the area empty of all things. But it limits storage, of course. thanks.

Jay