• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2019 Lake Michigan PHRF rating...

oldfauser

Member III
So we get our renewed PHRF for Lake Michigan... we're getting a 3 second/mile penalty for having a shoal draft keel for distance racing!!!! Also getting a 6 second penalty for having an asymmetrical spinnaker over a symmetrical spinnaker for distance!

so we ended up at 171 for distance and 177 for buoy racing... with spinnaker..

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...so we ended up at 171 for distance and 177 for buoy racing... with spinnaker..

You sure those are penalties?

The base number for a 32-III up here is 162. Mine ended up at 180 because of three adjustments:
+9 sec/mile for an undersized headsail (mine's about 120%)
+3 sec/mile for an undersized spinnaker (165%, vs the standard 180%)
+6 sec/mile for a fixed-blade prop.

Capture.JPG

There "shouldn't" be any difference because of the type of spinnaker, it goes by size, not shape.

$.02
Bruce

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
we start with a base of 168

-3 for over sized mainsail (not sure why on this)
3 roller head sail fuller credit
9 credit for converting from pole tacked spinnaker to center-lined tacked spinnaker
-3 DHCP adjustment for a boat with a shallow draft
-3 DHCP adjustment for boats that carry an asymmetric spinnaker

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Interesting. PHRF-NW doesn't have DHCP (or at least, I can't find mention of it in the handbook....)

And a kite tacked at the headstay is rated the same as a pole-flown kite, unless there is a sprit.

Bruce

oldfauser

Member III
ToD distance racing handicap (DHCP) 171...

The sail maker that built our Genoa sits on the PHRF board for Lake Michigan. I called him and asked about our rating adjustments. He told me that 1) shoal draft boats are faster in distance races as they figure 75% is off the wind... and shoal draft is faster... (I would debate that with the Ericson 32-3 SD) and 2) Asymmetrical spinnakers are fast than symmetrical spinnakers!

we lost 3 seconds from last year, which is the mainsail oversize adjustment, which just showed up this year. Not sure about this adjustment...

I will say that the boat is fast if we can get the asail up though... :egrin: