• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 rudder travel and stop

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
While fairing and priming the rudder we noticed it travels different distances in each direction. Can’t believe a year of sailing we didn’t notice this, or something has changed.
To port the wheel gets a little over 1 full turn. To starboard it’s about 1-1/3 turns. This is very noticeable at the rudder moving it to paint.
Investigating we found the stop tube for the quadrant is taper cut and wobbles. To starboard it hits on the horizontal part of the quadrant as shown in the pic and to port it rides above and hits the vertical part of the quadrant giving it more travel. Does anyone know where the stop is suppose to hit and how the stop tube is secured?
AC44866E-01C0-4012-85BF-50F2F4D5172E.jpg

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
A comment or two based on more experience. The tubing stop in your excellent picture definitely can be cut off to clear the horizontal web of the quadrant. If you can get some 1/8" wall thickness hose over it afterwards that would be good. I still don't know how the stop tube is secured. Even during my 2014-15 layup, when I gutted the area behind the engine, replaced the rudder, repacked the gland at the top of the rudder tube, etc., I didn't get into that bracketry where the stop is located.

The rudder floats. If your quadrant, attached to the rudder stock, is able to rise (usually 1/4" or less) when the boat is in the water, then the interference may show up. On the hard, the rudder may drop enough that the interference doesn't happen. I chose to shorten the stop to relieve this. Others have shimmed around the stock above the quadrant, to eliminate this upward movement. I think this is also a valid solution, although perhaps harder to do unless you're in there for other reasons.

Again, kudos to Ben on Pau Hana for his comments on the other thread.

Last edited:

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
She’s still on the hard. Was suppose to splash tomorrow but pushed it back. Currently there is a gap above the plastic washer on the rudder post. Plan to somehow cut of clearance for the web and possible rudder floating up to washer. Chiropractor visits need to get scheduled.

Accidentally replied to Footrope’s link. NOT Footloose Lol, got dancing on the brain.