• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

etc Soot, Starter Button

hdlEric

Member III
For those of you that have "leaking mast syndrome" (LOL), I finally found where some of the water is coming in on my '87 E34. It is coming from beneath the light grey strip on the after portion of the mast. HOpe this helps.

Also, I have two other problems: I have black soot on my alternator; I am sure this is not good. The PO did replace the OEM bracket, so it's not that.

Also, I have read several posts about the engine not turning over when the starter button is hit. I have tried several solutions, but none seem to work. I have replaced the switch; checked and cleaned all the grounds, and eliminated the trailer connectors with terminal blocks, but to no avail. Sometimes the starter will engage, and sometimes not.

Thanks for your help!!!

One more thing. I replaced my teak and holly sole; if anybody wants to see the pic, I can post them.
Howard

Last edited by a moderator:

debonAir

Member III
I think the black soot is (most likely) rubber from the belt. It builds up as your belt wears down. The water pump get a little, but the alternator is closest to the belt and has a little fan that draws the stuff towards it it seems.

Is your intermittent starter just randomly intermittent or does it always work the first (cold) attempt and then sometimes doesn't restart easily?

Some people install starter relays, where the start button just powers the relay, and the relay, closer to the starter, powers the starting solenoid. This helps if you have long/narrow wires and corroded button contacts I'd think, but, I also think this is the job the solenoid is actually supposed to be doing: engaging the gear and providing the high current switch to the motor.

I noticed the crimp connector that attaches the starting wire to the solenoid on my boat is a bit wobbly and think that is a weak link in my circuit: hidden away getting old and corroded over time. One time my starter didn't engage I poked that connection with a screw driver and briefly contacted the hot + screw which got it going easily, leading me to think the start circuit wiring is the culprit, not the starter itself. I already got a new starter on ebay (the new inexpensive gear head type) so haven't done more investigating till I put that in.

hdlEric

Member III
etc

Thanks debonair for the info. The starting problem can happen when the engine is cold or hot; it is completely random, but will often engage after several pushes. Thanks for reminding me about the starter solenoid, I should get it checked out.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The next time it won't turn over, whack the starter motor with a hammer and try again.

If that does it, the starter itself may need a basic overhaul at any alternator/starter motor shop.

The rebuild is cheap, getting the starter off the engine is usually worth a grunt and a cuss.

What boat do you have.

patrscoe

Member III
For those of you that have "leaking mast syndrome" (LOL), I finally found where some of the water is coming in on my '87 E34. It is coming from beneath the light grey strip on the after portion of the mast. HOpe this helps.
do you have a picture or exact location of this area?

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I too had problems with a leaky mast on my 87 E34. Aside from rainwater coming into the bilge from inside the mast (sheaves and various openings), I had rainwater dripping inside the cabin from leaks outside the mast. Specifically, there is an aluminum strip on the rear of the mast from the goose neck all the down to the bottom of the mast ending at the mast step inside the bilge. Apparently that strip was just a filler piece so that the groove in the mast for the sail slugs, did not go below the goose neck. I forced 4200 sealant around that filler strip and the leak stopped. There is still a leak from inside the mast but the bilge pump takes care of that.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We can't stop rain from running down the inside of the mast through the necessary openings for halyards. Normal.

Many folks have devised their own dams and channels to guide the mast water into the bilge, so as to prevent damage to floorboards.

Ericson didn't pay much attention to mast rain water, perhaps because it doesn't rain much in Irvine, CA.