• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

O ring for deck fittings

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Looking for the O-ring size for the waste pump out cap on my 87 E34. It looks to be 1/16 inch thick and about one inch in diameter. It is the same one used on the water tank fill caps and probably the diesel cap too.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Herb - I don't have the size at home. I got excited when I found the receipt for the Lewmar portlight handle o-rings, but you don't want to know #014 1/16"x1/2"x5/8".

My 1 1/4" deck fills use a 3/32" o-ring, but I can't remember the ID or OD. As a guess, I would say 1 1/4" ID, and that is close enough to try if you pass by a hardware store. Squander $.40. I bought one to try at the local hardware and then 25 at a distributor.

I'm not sure when I'll get to my boat where I have the info - a little medical problem from which I'm on the mend. Ain't old age grand?

HerbertFriedman

Member III
thanks for the info, I guess I will take the old battered one to the hardware store and try to fit one.

I agree, old age has its problems but just think of the alternative!

Slick470

Member III
Older thread, but I figure I'll ask here as well as the other more recent O-Ring thread. Our Olson 911 has the winch handle style deck diesel fill. Does anyone know what size o-ring that fitting needs? I forgot to measure the cap before I left the boat last time. Looks like this:
1640717095206.png

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Older thread, but I figure I'll ask here as well as the other more recent O-Ring thread. Our Olson 911 has the winch handle style deck diesel fill. Does anyone know what size o-ring that fitting needs? I forgot to measure the cap before I left the boat last time. Looks like this:
View attachment 41197
I have that fill style on my '89 E32. It should be 1.5” - it is a standard deck fill. I bought some from Defender at a remarkably high price. Next time I'll try Marine Depot Direct at $0.89. The pictures on Defender and MDD are the "deck key" style, but the diameter is the same.

Slick470

Member III
I have that fill style on my '89 E32. It should be 1.5” - it is a standard deck fill. I bought some from Defender at a remarkably high price. Next time I'll try Marine Depot Direct at $0.89. The pictures on Defender and MDD are the "deck key" style, but the diameter is the same.
Thanks Jerry. I figured it was a a standard size but then once I started looking for o-rings I got more diameter options than I expected. And yes, paying $5+ for an o-ring is nuts.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The stock OEM deck fittings on our '88 boat were the "winch handle" type, too. Not sure of the source vendor, tho. I might have been Goiot, back in the olden days. I changed them all out for the SS type with the little ss pivot part that rotates up, and does not need a separate key.
Those odd sized O rings are the bane of every boater, sail and power...... :(

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I found that the size #920 o-ring fits perfectly. I paid $12.99 for 50 of them on Amazon.

View attachment 43695
Thank you, Jerry!
I ordered a bag from Amazon immediately after seeing your post, and replaced my 5 deck fitting o-rings today. The old ones were very flattened and most were cracked - perfect timing. Now I have 45 spare O-rings ;-)
Here's my boat life hack for not losing the key overboard while working on the deck fittings and if it goes overboard, at least it'll float ...IMG_2792.jpg

Last edited: