• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39 Anchor Locker

RenDe

Member II
Yep, I've got one of those separate plastic shower bilge things with an automatic centrifugal pump in it. I have the AC condensate and shower pan plumbed to it with one remaining spot for the anchor locker. The output Ts into the head sink drain and straight out the boat.

Is there a pic of that anywhere? Mine doesn't have this. My drain goes to a pump in the engine compartment then pumps out the bilge pump throughull.

gadangit

Member III
Which part do you want a picture of? My one piece cabin sole was replaced with removable sections, so my bilge is basically completely accessible. So fitting that plastic box just forward of the mast was easy and it fit perfect.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's the 381 shower sump (before I cleaned it up). It's small. It has a water level sensor and auto switch.

That's a lot of gear in a small space and subject to clogging just from human hair, and a primary cause of the light use most sailboat showers get.

Just my opinion, but it doesn't seem near robust enough for anchor chain drainage with the inevitable glop even with a thorough washdown.

E381 shower sump.JPGE381 sump close.jpg

gadangit

Member III
Here's the 381 shower sump (before I cleaned it up). It's small. It has a water level sensor and auto switch.

That's a lot of gear in a small space and subject to clogging just from human hair, and a primary cause of the light use most sailboat showers get.

Just my opinion, but it doesn't seem near robust enough for anchor chain drainage with the inevitable glop even with a thorough washdown.

I agree. Just trying to find the least worst option. Right now that glop is somewhere between the anchor locker and the mast.

RenDe

Member II
Which part do you want a picture of? My one piece cabin sole was replaced with removable sections, so my bilge is basically completely accessible. So fitting that plastic box just forward of the mast was easy and it fit perfect.

Actually I would love to see as much as possible about the floor project. Do you have a blog post or anything. Also is the floor structural on the E39?

View attachment 28005View attachment 28006

That was my concern though I love how yours is set up. I am looking at having some sort of filtering between the shower and the pump just for pump preservation.

gadangit

Member III
Is it structural? I suspect it is a little bit, but the beams help. We replaced with some athwartship members and I've never seen any gaps open up.
I've posted various pictures, but probably never a post dedicated to the sole. IMAG0264.jpgIMG_20150319_172255419.jpgIMG_20150319_172236420.jpgIMG_20150319_172048794.jpgIMAG0265.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
RenDe,

I think that if somebody plans to actually use the shower, a simple in-line basket filter is all you need. That would guard against Rapunzel's Law, which states that the probability of a shower-sump clog increases in direct proportion to the number of beautiful women who use it.

There's also the Max Factor, a phenomenon related to foaming shampoos and conditioners and dissolved mascara, which after hardening can be easily removed from the delicate plumbing using a 50-horsepower sewer snake from Home Depot.

RenDe

Member II
Is it structural? I suspect it is a little bit, but the beams help. We replaced with some athwartship members and I've never seen any gaps open up.
I've posted various pictures, but probably never a post dedicated to the sole. View attachment 28012View attachment 28008View attachment 28009View attachment 28010View attachment 28011

Thanks for the pics, did you remove the water tank? Also I wonder if it's a optical illusion but my cabin sole seems wider? Definitely gives me ideas though, thanks again

RenDe

Member II
RenDe,

I think that if somebody plans to actually use the shower, a simple in-line basket filter is all you need. That would guard against Rapunzel's Law, which states that the probability of a shower-sump clog increases in direct proportion to the number of beautiful women who use it.

There's also the Max Factor, a phenomenon related to foaming shampoos and conditioners and dissolved mascara, which after hardening can be easily removed from the delicate plumbing using a 50-horsepower sewer snake from Home Depot.

I suspect you are correct :), I don't want to have to work on decreasing that number ;)

gadangit

Member III
Thanks for the pics, did you remove the water tank? Also I wonder if it's a optical illusion but my cabin sole seems wider? Definitely gives me ideas though, thanks again

Maybe you got a wide body E39? :) Getting that sole out of there made for more storage and a better smelling boat once the 45 years of detritus was scraped out. Pretty nasty under there.
Yes, water tank is gone. Can't get it out without removing the sole, unfortunately.

RenDe

Member II
Maybe you got a wide body E39? :) Getting that sole out of there made for more storage and a better smelling boat once the 45 years of detritus was scraped out. Pretty nasty under there.
Yes, water tank is gone. Can't get it out without removing the sole, unfortunately.

Thanks, I took another look and it's the fiberglass that threw me. Mine has the wood sole and I think the shortened or narrower seat on the port side as I have more space from the port side to the mast than the starboard side. Where did you move the water tank to and did you end up with more tankage?

Thanks again and I know this has drifted a ways from Anchor Locker discussions.

gadangit

Member III
Thanks, I took another look and it's the fiberglass that threw me. Mine has the wood sole and I think the shortened or narrower seat on the port side as I have more space from the port side to the mast than the starboard side. Where did you move the water tank to and did you end up with more tankage?

Thanks again and I know this has drifted a ways from Anchor Locker discussions.

Well whoever started this dang thread can yell at us if they like.
I'd love to see a picture of your interior that shows how your settee are laid out.
As all the posts about tanks on this site reveal, it is not easy to find room for large continuous volume and have a way to either maintain or replace a tank. I went with a smaller 20 gallon flexible tank that fits under the cabin sole and installed a watermaker. I have plans to put one more flexible tank in somewhere, just haven't settled on where yet. We've had this one for several years, great water taste and no signs of wear.

RenDe

Member II
Well whoever started this dang thread can yell at us if they like.
I'd love to see a picture of your interior that shows how your settee are laid out.
As all the posts about tanks on this site reveal, it is not easy to find room for large continuous volume and have a way to either maintain or replace a tank. I went with a smaller 20 gallon flexible tank that fits under the cabin sole and installed a watermaker. I have plans to put one more flexible tank in somewhere, just haven't settled on where yet. We've had this one for several years, great water taste and no signs of wear.

Let me see what I can do about pics and I hear you. I definitely like the floor you have and I would at some point like to do the same thing. Going back to the original theme I also like the idea of a hatch and it seems like one could be made that seals but also allows access. I don't know that it would need to be a formal hatch as I would also like to maintain the look of the wood in the vberth. So many projects.. so little money/time :p

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Your E39 probably can handle the extra chain weight in the bow. I don't think my E380 would like all that chain up there. I have a 47 gallon water tank in the bow. I like to travel with our dinghy on the cabin. With the full water tank and the dinghy said:
Actually, that particular boat really doesn't do well with weight in the ends. When I owned one, I had several discussions with my dad about routing the chain aft. The most logical place was the starboard hanging locker-but we were liveaboards at the time, and well that project never happened. Food for thought...

Martin

gadangit

Member III
I had considered going all the way to the mast and dropping down to the bilge, but ultimately decided to stop the madness and just use the anchor locker. You could spend a lifetime "improving" these already pretty great boats.
Yeah, without that hanging locker where would you put your clothing type items? In fact, I'm still not sure where we are going to store clothes.

gadangit

Member III
And here i thought i was going to sluice this through the shower sump. One bucket and two shop vac empties worth. 20200208_160641.jpg
Buried in there is my chain/nylon rode. I swapped that to the working rode and moved the all chain to the furthest aft compartment under the v berth.20200209_122057.jpg