• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The Dana 24--at 6.8 knots in adverse current

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[FONT=&quot]This is a Practical Sailor review of the Dana 24, which has a waterline length of 21.42 feet.
Do we believe these performance numbers? If so, how are they possible for a displacement boat given the theoretical waterline length limitation?

Performance

We sailed the sloop-rigged test boat under full main and 110% jib on a chilly San Francisco day in blustery conditions, and were impressed with the performance and seakindly motion of the boat. A Kestrel windspeed instrument registered 12-15 knots of wind.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The GPS registered boatspeed at 5.7 to 5.9 knots over the ground as we sailed close-hauled with sheets barely started. As we hardened up farther, moving the traveler up and trimming the jib board-flat, we heeled to 20 degrees. Speed held at 5.2 to 5.4 knots, but she was not comfortable and we were sliding to leeward.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We eased sheets and saw speed reach 6.8 knots over the ground while sailing into a flooding current on a broad reach in 13.5 knots of breeze. The boat felt lively, and responded quickly to each movement of the tille[/FONT]

supersailor

Contributing Partner
They are, of course jokeing. I don't think these things are capable of 6.5kn in any conditions and going to windward is best accomplished with the iron wind.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Seems a bit over-enthusiastic

I stopped my PS subscription many years ago. I found their opinions were often kind of subjective and not well enough researched.
In this case, If the reviewer truly believes what he wrote, he must also explain, in a side bar, how his data can contradict "common sense" and laws of physics.

I have no problem believing that the Dana can do 6 or a bit more on a reach, but it has a shorter rig and lots of interior volume working against any sort of real speed.

In a decade of cruising and a couple of racing seasons, I know that our Niagara 26 could maintain 6.2 to weather and could hold 8 kts off the wind in a breeze. But it was a 'MORC derived" hull form and weighed 4K. It was also 26' 8" long and had a fairly flat run aft for a goodly amount of water line when under way.
The Dana 24 has more interior room than my Niagara and I do love the salty looks of the Dana.... but would never expect as much speed as the author claims.

There is also a fatal error in their data gathering. GPS "SOG" proves little or nothing.
I recall that some years ago such a test always involved clipping a speed transducer to the transom and recording actual hull speed on a calibrated instrument.

It's a good thing that all Ericson's can exceed ten knots almost all the time on all points of sail, according to the objective owners! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
GPS "SOG" proves little or nothing

Yes, I was astonished to see that, especially in a local environment with currents. The review was in 2001, back when PS had a reputation for, I don't know, at least "not subject to advertising pressures."