Thread: 32-200 Leaky portlights are fun

Contributing Member I frosero7744's Avatar

wrench 32-200 Leaky portlights are fun

Before i open the can of worms, i thought i would channel some insight here. My Gal has leaky port lights. Well the 4 non opening portlights have leaked at some point you can tell from the wood damage. Currently only the one over the nav table leaks from the glass at the bottom and drips off the screwhead when it rains. The weird thing is the windows are sealed off on the outside with plastic and taped shut. I'm worried its leaking from higher up and running in the deck to the window. Moisture was scanned at survey with low readings. From reading others posts, my current thought is to replace the portlights with Lewmar size 1 and open the holes up a bit bigger. i would like a out of the box replacement but dont really find any options except Bomon in Canada but its $$$$. Anyhow, last time to the boat i tightened up every screw in the cabin top i could find. ill find out this weekend if any difference was made. Any thoughts on a possible source for the leak or reasoning why it could leak when sealed outside the boat? Also thoughts on best approach for refurb or replacement of portlights.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04861.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	26683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04864.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	26684
    Last edited by frosero7744; 04-11-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    One thing to do is to remove the inner cover* of the fixed ports. That gives a view of the sealant beneath. Have somebody else direct a strong hose jet at the glass from outside, probing for weaknesses.

Is the leak from the bedding, or from the gasket that holds the glass, or both?

The fixed ports can have sneaky leaks. Water enters invisibly, then migrates invisibly between the veneer and the glass of the cabin house. It enters the veneer through its own raw edge around the frame, where old caulking has lost its sealing power. Water in there lingers, even if the port is taped over.

It seemslikely that the fixed ports themselves are the issue, so give a full investigation priority.

*The inner covers are decorative, Just take out the screws.

(Also, open the ceiling liner zippers above the fixed ports and feel around in there for peace of mind).
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 04-11-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    One thing to do is to remove the inner cover* of the fixed ports. That gives a view of the sealant beneath. Have somebody else direct a strong hose jet at the glass from outside, probing for weaknesses.

Is the leak from the bedding, or from the gasket that holds the glass, or both?

The fixed ports can have sneaky leaks. Water enters invisibly, then migrates invisibly between the veneer and the glass of the cabin house. It enters the veneer through its own raw edge around the frame, where old caulking has lost its sealing power. Water in there lingers, even if the port is taped over.

It seemslikely that the fixed ports themselves are the issue, so give a full investigation priority.

*The inner covers are decorative, Just take out the screws.

(Also, open the ceiling liner zippers above the fixed ports and feel around in there for peace of mind).
    The water springs up from between the glass and metal frame just above the screw then drips off the screw head. I'm waiting for this weird weather to dry up and get things apart and ill do as you suggested with the hose test. Thanks for the tips

Blog Entries
    Ah. Now our fixed-light gasket replacement experts will step in. Here's a start:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...-windows-ports
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 04-11-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/c/ChristianWilliamsYachting

She was purchased new from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. We kept her at the Miami Yacht Club until 1980 when we moved to Sarasota. She remained at Marina Jacks until moving to Grosse Ile, Michigan at the Ford Yacht Club (SE Michigan)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    Ah. Now our fixed-light gasket replacement experts will step in. Here's a start:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...-windows-ports
    Thanks for the prestigious but overstated title Christian. Said project was indeed a real learning experience to say the least, especially getting the larger aluminum frame halves back together.

Only thing to add to that information he may want to try first would be using some Capt. Tolly Window Sealer along the vinyl to glass seals (especially on the outside facing glass). If the leaking areas arenít too large, this may just work. After all that rebuild, we DID have two minor leaks but Capt Tolly is a very thin liquid silicone that penetrates into the path water takes. It worked perfectly for us. (Capt. Tolly Window Sealant is sold at West Marine.)

-​kerry

Quote Originally Posted by kapnkd View Post
    Thanks for the prestigious but overstated title Christian. Said project was indeed a real learning experience to say the least, especially getting the larger aluminum frame halves back together.

Only thing to add to that information he may want to try first would be using some Capt. Tolly Window Sealer along the vinyl to glass seals (especially on the outside facing glass). If the leaking areas arenít too large, this may just work. After all that rebuild, we DID have two minor leaks but Capt Tolly is a very thin liquid silicone that penetrates into the path water takes. It worked perfectly for us. (Capt. Tolly Window Sealant is sold at West Marine.)

-​kerry
    Looks like a spanking good time. Thanks all y'all

Quote Originally Posted by frosero7744 View Post
    From reading others posts, my current thought is to replace the portlights with Lewmar size 1 and open the holes up a bit bigger. i would like a out of the box replacement but dont really find any options except Bomon in Canada but its $$$$.
    I replaced my four fixed portlights with identical replacements from Mark Plastics in Corona, CA, a still operating original supplier to Ericson. Details including pricing in post #9 & 11 here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...xed-Portlights

Owner is Mark Heacox at (951)735-7705

My original acrylic lens were crazed badly so my new portlights are tinted glass which won't craze. I had no leaks between the lens and frame in my original portlights and the vinyl frame still looked good when I replaced them. The white vinyl portlight frame is a much more durable vinyl in the current version and can be painted if the white bothers you. I didn't.

Get the Lewmar size 1 opening ports in stainless so you never have to replace then again.

Mark
    Mark & Ronnie Vinette
    E36RH #21 GLIDE
    Annapolis, MD

Blog Entries
    Break out some boat bucks and buy Bomans. I did and Iíve never seen a more dry view of high humidity and salt spray from the arid comfort of the 32-200 cabin!
    1989 32-200
    S/V "Easy"
    (hull #844)
    Pensacola, Florida

The difference between a sailboat and a power boat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there.