• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 chainplate bolt dimensions needed

L

Leslie Newman

Hello. I am wanting to pre-order chainplate bolts from Garhauer. I need the dimensions as I am not ready to pull mine.
Anyone have the dimensions I would need to send?
As far as I can tell measuring mine in the boat and searching on this forum....
They are 1/2" diameter U-bolts about 2-1/16 to 2-1/8 on center. Trying to measure mine in the boat I sort of got a measure of 2-1/16+ center to center (so 2.09" center to center).
3 1/2" overall length.
I think that means that 2" goes below deck (2" from top of deck to end of bolt inside) and the remainder, 1.5" is above deck.
Just want to make sure before placing an order for eight of them.
Wondering if I should go a little longer below deck length just to be sure.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
E38 Chainplate bolts

Leslie:

I thought Rig Rite was the only source for these U-Bolts. I friend on our dock used them and they look indential to the originals, I believe they are forged 316SS. The downside is Rig Rite is very proud of them, as I recall him saying something like $2500 for 8 bolts! I need to check mine too as I believe they are original.

What does Garhauer offer?

Neil

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Leslie:

I thought Rig Rite was the only source for these U-Bolts. I friend on our dock used them and they look indential to the originals, I believe they are forged 316SS. The downside is Rig Rite is very proud of them, as I recall him saying something like $2500 for 8 bolts! I need to check mine too as I believe they are original.

What does Garhauer offer?

Neil

I recall reading that others here have sourced them from Garhauer for a reasonable/normal price. Best just give them a call.

Also: see reply #25 in this thread: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?10836-Ericson-30-chainplate-U-bolt/page2

Last edited:
L

Leslie Newman

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I forgot to update this thread.
I spoke with Garhauer. Very nice people. They do custom make the chainplate U-bolts. Quoted me $71 each. Way better price than Rig-Rite's $289 each. And the Garhauer bolt will have the top plate welded to the bolt, so I feel a better seal to deck regarding keeping out water. I will put my butyl tape under that plate and not worry as much about water coming in via bolt through plate. But I also plan to over drill the bolt holes and fill with epoxy, re-drill. Do what I can to prevent water penetration to the core. It not already done. When I removed one of the big port lights to re-bed it I found that the cabin housing opening had been epoxy sealed all around the edges of the portlight opening so water couldn't get to the core. Pacific Seacraft makes good boats.

I spoke with a fellow named Mike at Garhauer. We worked out what size bolts they would send. The bolts are 1/2". I am pretty sure my existing U-bolts are 2-1/16" on center (best I could measure), so that is what I have ordered. And I went with the longer length below deck just in case. So the bolts are going to be 2-1/16" on center, overall length is 4". That will be 1-1/2" above deck and about 2-1/2" through the deck. The bolts come with new nuts as well.

The Rig-Rite bolts are 2-1/8" on center and 4" overall length. I figure if I am wrong and mine are 2-1/8" on center being 1/16" off is not a big deal and I can work with it. Mike at Garhauer said that 2-1/16" and 2-1/8" were standard sizes he could bend his 1/2" stainless stock to.

I re-bedded the chainplates on my CAL 33-2 a few years ago. Exact same design using the U-bolts. To remove the U-bolts I used my OTC slide hammer with a hook screwed to the end. Worked very good and I pulled all 8 U-bolts without much trouble. Did not damage the deck. Slide hammer isn't too expensive and really does the job. OTC makes very good tools. There are all sorts of attachments for the slide hammer, depending on what needs to get pulled.

Slide hammer-
https://www.otctools.com/products/basic-slide-hammer-unit

Pulling hook-
https://www.otctools.com/products/pulling-hook

L

Leslie Newman

New chainplate bolts arrived from Garhauer. They did an excellent job. $591 delivered for 8 bolts with nuts. As compared to the quote from Rig-rite that was insane for 8.

Chain Plates.jpg

Chain Plate close.jpg

Measured my boat's bolts several times and they are 2-1/16" on center.
Your results may vary. The Rig-rite bolts state 2-1/8" on center. But I had Garhauer make mine 2-1/16" to match what I measured on my boat.
I figure I can make things work if I am off by 1/16".
Chain plate dimensions.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Hi Leslie, thanks for the update and pics! Please update this post with your final results of how they fit, it would be great to see a few pics of the finished project. I need to at lest pull mine for inspection, but given the age it makes the most sense to proactively change them out.

L

Leslie Newman

Hi Leslie, thanks for the update and pics! Please update this post with your final results of how they fit, it would be great to see a few pics of the finished project. I need to at lest pull mine for inspection, but given the age it makes the most sense to proactively change them out.

Sure. I am hoping to start swapping some chainplates this coming weekend. Saturday is looking OK for most of the day. Rain coming in late in the day. I was waiting on my bedding compound which arrived today. I bought that 'BED IT' tape from 'Marine How To'. Suppose to be really good butyl tape for the job. I also am planning to overbore the holes and do some epoxy sealing as well. I'll take some pics as I go or if feeling brave get out my GoPro.

L

Leslie Newman

Replaced one chainplate today. Used my slide hammer to remove the old one. Epoxy sealed the holes. Used Bed-it buytl tape for sealer.
The Garhauer chainplates are exact fit for my boat.

20190511_092015.jpg

20190511_121123.jpg

L

Leslie Newman

I tested that the new chainplate would slip into the plate inside the cabin before proceeding today.
I think the rig-rite chainplates, which are 2-1/8" center to center would have not fit without some drilling to make them fit. Garhauer is definitely the way to go.
Anyone doing this job make sure to check your boats chainplate center to center measure. Mine are 2-1/16", but possibly other boats could vary.

20190511_090549.jpg

20190511_090628.jpg

Gline

Member I
Thnx for posting all this! I'm about to order mine from Garhauer and this info is very helpful. Are you happy with the overall length of 4 inches? There's a few spots where my current bolts press a little on the vinyl headliner.