• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

anybody installedanchor roller on a 35II

eric35II

Member I
has anybody installed an anchor roller on a 35II ? i would like to install one. any comments or suggustions welcome.

thanks
greg

Jack Crowe

I have not installed an anchor roller as yet but would like to. I anchored next to a 35-2 last summer that had a nice teak roller/extension made for her bow that looked and functioned great. I keep two fluke-style anchors stored in a couple of 4" diameter PVC tubes that are clamped to the bow pulpit. This works ok until I have to wrestle the heavy anchor w/chain up and over to return it after hoisting. Hard work!!
The simple solution is to bolt on a SS roller that sits tight against the forestay chainplate, I haven't planned out what to do with the back part of the roller channel where it needs a bolt as the front is a couple of inches higher due to the bow toe rail extrusion. Any suggestion anyone?
If any 35-2 owners have Anchor rollers I could use some measurements - esp teak/wood extensions.
Thanks
JCC

Gord Bell

Member II
should be up to the boat in a couple of weeks.will take some photos of the roller assembly that I installed last summer. it is very easy to do with out much mods.

Gord Bell

Member II
here are a couple of pictures of the anchor roller that I put on last summer.still have some finishing touches to do as can be seen but it works great.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 217

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Good pictures - any chance you could also post some pictures of your winching system and anchor locker?

Gareth

Freyja E35 #241 1972

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Anchor roller

Gareth,

By now you know I have a bias towards performance-and my 2 cents on the issue is that for the 35-2 more than some other models, performance will be significantly affected by the weight of an anchor, chain, and rode up on the bow. The pitching moment will increase, so that in other than flat seas you will be slower with an increased pitching moment.

I would consider how often you actually use the anchor, and if it is rare, but you like the idea of a roller, maybe you could keep the rode and chain aft in a more centered location until you actually set sail on the trip on which you plan on anchoring (with just the anchor on the roller). Otherwise I would stow all my ground tackle as near the middle of the boat as I could (fore and aft, and low).

While this dynacmic is true for any boat (but to differing degrees), the newer 38, 35-3, and such can absorb weight in the bow a bit better than the 35-2.

I guess I see lots of boats with rollers and having the anchor, chain and rode up in the bow, while using the anchor 2-3 times a year. That is a lot of performance lost for something not often used. If you use it all the time it may be worth the price, though..

Food for thought.
Good sailing,
Seth

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Seth - I agree in principle, but when I bought my tackle last year, and went to take it home, I realised that carrying it about the boat was not something I wanted to do on a routine basis.... Two or three times a year would be the maximum. Admittedly it was very stout tackle, not necessary for routine coastal use - in the hurricane, the cleat I tied the anchor to was sheared in half.
Gareth

Gord Bell

Member II
As asked for Garth here are some pictures of the anchor locker and windlas. The windlas is a manual Lofrans' Royal, 250ft of 5/16 g40 chain and a 15kg claw anchor. Yes this is a fair amount of weight up front but in the last sailing season, I spent close to 100 nights on the hook.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 130