• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Shaft diameter Ericson 26-2

hmdjamesh

Member I
I need to replace anodes on my propeller shaft on my Ericson 1987, 26-2,
Anyone know the shaft diameter I’d need?

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Don't know... but if you can see the shaft between the coupling and the shaft-gland, it's easy enough to measure...

Worst case, you could buy a couple of sizes from the local marine hardware store, and return the ones that don't fit. If it is the right diameter for the shaft inside the boat, it'l be the right diameter under the boat, too.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Whatever tool is handy... on a boat...

Don't know... but if you can see the shaft between the coupling and the shaft-gland, it's easy enough to measure...

Worst case, you could buy a couple of sizes from the local marine hardware store, and return the ones that don't fit. If it is the right diameter for the shaft inside the boat, it'l be the right diameter under the boat, too.

As sort of a plan B, if you can access the shaft inside with some ease... use your old set of parallel rules to gently close against the shaft and then measure the distance between the rule sides. Probably not a proper use for a navigational tool, but it has worked for me in the past. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Parrelel Ruler.jpeg
    Parrelel Ruler.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 47

garryh

Member III
it will be either 3/4 or 7/8. Loren's idea will work, and if no parallel rules or micrometer, take some cereal box cardboard and cut out small rectangular areas of both widths and see which slips over the shaft.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I need to replace anodes on my propeller shaft on my Ericson 1987, 26-2,
Anyone know the shaft diameter I’d need?
On my 1984 26-2 the diameter is 3/4". I'd be surprised if it were different on yours, though I suppose it is possible. But if in doubt, just get a cheap micrometer from Harbor Freight and measure the exposed part of the shaft where it comes out of your stuffing box, as has been suggested.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
use your old set of parallel rules to gently close against the shaft and then measure the distance between the rule sides.

What a clever idea!

I found myself measuring so many little things (shroud diameters, pin diameters, hose diameters, wire sizes, all sorts of things) that I bought a small dial-caliper and keep it with the tools on the boat. I use it all the time.

Mine are plastic, similar to this. I got plastic so I didn't have to worry about it rusting and becoming un-usable. I personally like the dial better than either vernier or digital.... ymmv.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Tool...dial+calipers&qid=1554139343&s=gateway&sr=8-3

The main thing is, for most things we're measuring, it doesn't have to be a precision instrument. I'm basically trying to determine if (e.g.) a shroud pin is 5/16" (0.312") or 3/8" (~0.375")... and this has proven to be super-useful doing things like that around the boat.

ObNote, in the past, I've used strips of paper to measure things like shafts and hose-ODs. Wrap a strip of paper around the thing, put marks where the paper overlaps, and then measure the distance between the marks. Divide that distance by 3.14 and you get the diameter of the thing (i.e., if the marks are about 3-1/8" apart, it is a 1" shaft...if the marks are about 2-3/8" apart, it is a 3/4" shaft) Crude, but...

$.02
Bruce

Last edited: