• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 For Blue Water

Scott Lynds

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has made any signifigant "blue water" passages with an E29, and/or made modifications to do so. I guess what I am really asking, is what is the overall consideration of this boat for crossing oceans, and what "beefing" up would be necessary to this particular boat, other than the obvious recommendations for all boats. I purchased an E29 this past summer and sailed it from the Portland Maine area to Nova Scotia (189KNts) in less than 48 hrs. We had winds that exceeded 20 KTS, and the boat performed flawlessly, leaving me to think that she is capable of alot more. I guess the big thing is the spade rudder, and large cockpit. How about the actual stoutness of the design to take a pounding in a major storm?
Thanks, Scott

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Have a very thorough search of the archives, as this question has come up twice before, and there are a lot of opinions, and advice on boat specifics, on file.

The quick summary: there are better boats available for the purpose. Some would not even think of it in the E29, others less cautious. There is an old saying: 'It is the sailor who crosses the ocean, not the boat'; although you have a boat that handles very well, since the E29 was designed for coastal work, your skills would have to make up some of the difference, and the risk level would always be higher than in a boat built for offshore. That said, I have heard of an E32 being seen in the Indian Ocean.

Gareth

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Just to add my 2 cents worth, I remember a copy of Cruising World magazine from a few years ago (2001 or 2002?) that had a great article about a couple of guys sailing and surfing through South East Asia on (if memory serves) an E30! The cover had one of those great photos shot from the masthead looking down on the Ericson's deck (which had at least 4 surfboards lashed to the lifelines!). I can't remember exactly how it got there, but I think they sailed it on its own bottom. I'll have to look it up....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If an E-30+ can be sailed around the globe singlehanded, going offshore in a 29 seems quite do-able.
Acually, Dr. Andrew Urbanczyk did have one crew member, his cat.
:)

Prepare yourself, prepare the boat....

:cool:

Loren in PDX

Dave Hussey

Member III
blue water sailing

I tried to find information about Dr. Urbanczyk's ocean crossing in his E27 , such as a log or a book about it...but got very little information in my Google search. (an E27 owns me) ;) Can any one suggest a reference?
Thanks,
DH

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ericsons across the Pacific and around the world...

http://www.asa.com/newsletters/AmSlng8-08-03/page6.html

Above is a link to his recent voyage. Note the the Nord IV was the Ericson 30, as I remember reading.

Here is an editor's quote from the '88 Letter column on line at the Lat. 38 site on the web:
"Readers - Dr. Urbanczyk, who used a sailboat to escape from behind the Iron Curtain, is another immigrant to the United States who made sailing news. He singlehanded, if we remember correctly, from San Francisco to Japan and back aboard his Ericson 27 and later singlehanded an Ericson 30+ around the world. He also wrote lots of funny stuff for Latitude in our early years."

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Offshore

Ditto to the comments-it may not be the ideal boat, but properly outfitted it should do the job.
As I have so many times in the past, the first places to start are the cockpit drains (double the draining capacity), and the hatchway.

Make up a one piece, reinforced hatchboard, and bolt alum. runners on the inside of the compnaionway to that the hatch cannot be blown in by a wave. Install a way to lock yourself inside the cabin in extreme conditions.

I have made numerous postings concerning modifying for offshore use, or you can always contact me directly.

Good sailing!

Seth

bigtyme805

Member III
I have made two major passages with my Ericson 27. One to Hawaii and another to the Sea of Cortez from the Channel Islands. I can tell you that my vessel performed very well and I encountered a couple of storms that sent me below deck. Your boat will no doubt perform well, but it is up the skipper and his or her knowledge to get you where you are going. The one tip I will give you is make sure you equip your boat with the best that you can afford. If you have any questions please contact me.

Don Anderson
E-27

I'd like to add to what Don Anderson posted. We put 714 miles on my E-27 this spring sailing down to Cuba and back. Things I would have done differently include better eating habits, better rest and a thorough investigation of deck leaks before going. Boat is fine.We got a little stressed though, sailing across the Straits of Florida twice in six days. Know your stuff. Heaving to gave us some much-needed rest.
Morgan Stinemetz

bigtyme805

Member III
I am very familiar with Morgan's trip to cuba, we have identical boats with the transom cutout and outboard. He is so right about being completely airtight, it will make your trip so much smoother. Check for leaks around your windows and hatches. The one difference between Morgan and myself is that I have a dodger. Definitely recommended if you do any offshore sailing. Loren made a good point, know your boat! The E29 is a great boat and I envy you if you get the chance to travel with it. The one thing about this site, the sailors have a vast amount of experience and from different parts of the country. Offshore sailing takes a certain person, I couldn't wait until I touched land, and the storms are brutal.

Don Anderson

Scott Lynds

Blue Water

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I have been reading much lately on extended cruising and appreciate the wisdom in your comments. I am gladly getting to know my boat little by little, and am growing to apprecaite her more everyday. I had actually set out in the beginning to find an E27, but the 29 turned up, and you know the rest!
Don, I'd like to know more about the tactics you employed in the storms, as well as the actual conditions, wind wave height etc. What "beefing up" did you do to your boat, what you would do differently. Basically any advice you might want to offer. Perhaps a list of equipment you would consider absolutely necessary, that sort of thing. One final question as the rudder is something that concerns me, and I'm sure someone out there has had one apart and had to rebuild at one time or another; what is it made up of internally, and what are it's inherent weaknesses, and what if any, are the best "cures". Not that mine looks bad, but sometimes looks aren't everything as they say!
Thanks, Scott

bigtyme805

Member III
Now we get into the heart of offshore sailing. Needed equipment that I thought would beneficial to me for safety and leisure. A windvane was the most important item to me. Secondly, a dodger for protection from the elements. My rudder beefed up, not a good design for Ericson. A watermaker was a consideration, but the cost decided against that. I put in 3 extra batteries and added solar panels for alternative energy. My outboard provided plenty of charging for my batteries. I also have an autopilot which worked out great for the downwind legs. Extra tiller handle. One thing I did do was make a one piece cabin door that was completely water tight so if I had a rollover that I would come back up. I had one knockdown from a bad storm, but had no damage whatsoever. Just a mess in the cabin. Make sure your batteries are secure. Of course a GPS, I went with handheld....Fridge? absolutely not, for the rich, and I am use to can food and warm soda. Plus, on a 27 I did not feel I needed it. One last thing, I took down the roller furling, did not want to chance the thing locking up on me. It has locked up on me before. Although if I did it all over again I would have a roller furling but one of the newer versions. Changing sails sucks! Especially in a storm.

I am probably forgetting many things but these come to mind immediately.
If I think of more I will add to this.

Don Anderson

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Question for Seth:

Do you recommend increasing the size of the through hulls from the cockpit drainage, or just the drainage points in the deck?

Gareth

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Water in, Water Out"

"I am not Seth"... but until he gets a work break and checks in here :hail:

As to cockpit drains, I know of several local sailors that added larger tubes to the transom. Ya might want to put a simple flapper over the outside end, though.
For a minimum amount of drain pipe area, you need to D/L the offshore racing specs and do the math for your particular cockpit. Here is a site I found with a Google search. Note that section 3.0.9 has the basic formulas.
http://www.rorc.org/specialregulations/mo3life.htm
:eek:
Added Note: elbows and entry strainers in those drains restrict the flow considerably from the potential you might assume from the hose and thruhull I.D. sizing. Further Note: remember that even the "offshore racing requirements" are minimums only. Sobering thought, that one...

Here is some more info at:
http://www.sailing.org/default.asp?MenuID=o6/~GX28zoMoD~`RtK/DVc454NICE_1OIDP`V_5PHFsFnNoxKWtu
(use copy-paste to put that mess into your browser...)
:)
D/L the Catagory zero and one requirements for monohulls, and note that almost all production boats need some work to be minimally safe for sailing off shore. Having several thousand pounds of water wander into your cockpit is quite a thrill, take it from me.

And remember that no amount of preparation confers on you a "guarantee" -- but you are moving the odds of survival and comfort into your favor...
:D

My observations, YMMV,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Having just checked that site, the E35 has considerably more than the 4 x 3/4" drains required in section 3.09, but I understand entirely the desire for more.

I need to rip up most of my deck this winter, so could add larger drains in the cockpit. Clearly there is more pressure in the drainage system, helping the water flow, at the through hull than at the deck, and I guess my question is whether that negates the need to also enlarge the through hulls and sea cocks, which is a part of the boat I like to leave alone.

Gareth

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Cockpit drains

I'm baaack! Thanks Loren! For those who care, I have left the sailmaking business to return to working in the environmental field (gotta feed the kids!), but I will remain attached to this site and will continue to offer whatever help and marine industry contacts I can..

On the drain issue, it is a good idea to refer to the ORC regulations, and I think the rules for the Transpac race also have a spec for drainage capacity-the point being to be able to drain a full cockpit in less than 2 minutes (IIRC).

You would need to increase the through hulls AND the hose diameter so that the real flow rate can be increased-simply doing the fittings won't help if the hose is not changed.

As noted already, the one-piece hatchboard, lockable from the inside is also a must. Extra battery capacity and autopilots are also very high on the list.

Hope this clears up the point in question-I need to get caught up on correspondence, but will be back to daily monitoring of the site effective tomorrow!

Fair winds!
Seth

Dave Hussey

Member III
Ericsons across the Pacific and around the world...

Loren,
Thank you for posting the link to Lat 38 ...I guess I need to check back on this forum more often, since I only just now saw your posting :oops:
D.Hussey

jkenan

Member III
There are several comments in this thread about beefing up the rudder. What specifics can someone offer about such an undertaking for the E29? I am very intersted.

John